How noisey are they?

I am not an expert but I think it depends. We have 25 or so now & the young females seem to make the most noise. When I was a kid I remember them being noisy as well. When we first got these, the females (2 in particular) were very annoying. They would get close by and make a racket something aweful! I would try shooing them & even threw a stick a couple times, but they kept coming back. If they saw you were trying to run them off they'd shut up & as soon as you sat back down theyd start again! It seemed like they were jealous that the males werent paying attention to them. Then after they were old enough to pair off they were much quieter! Recently we had a bunch hatch and now that they are older(teenagers Id say) 1 female is very noisy! They are much like guard dogs in my opinion. If someone strange is nearby or they see/hear a predator they will all make a fuss! Other than that I don't hear the others much. 2 of the males are big babies.... they will follow you all over the yard & make a soft tweeting sound. My mother even says hers protect her from the mean rooster she has. She got attacked by him(the rooster) once or twice and now the 2 males guineas will attack the rooster if he tries to get her. I think they'd follow you in the house if you'd let them!

Quote:
guineas make noise all day long. Males only make the Chi Chi Chi noise. The females make the Chi noise but they also make a Two syllible call of Buck Wheat.... some say it sounds more like Come back.... yet others describe it as Butt Crack....
lau.gif
gig.gif
What ever the noise they make it CONSTANTLY.... over and over and over and over again. Except when they are talking amongst themselves about food or what ever.

When they are scratching and muttering to themselves they are no more noisy than chickens. But when they see something they dont recognize they can be deafening. I have seven and when they are all going Chi Chi Chi at once Forget about having a conversation or even being able to hear someone talk to you. Fortunately they only alarm for predators.... like hawks and dogs and The mail man... lol.... and when you come out the back door unexpectedly with a new bathrobe on..... Chi Chi Chi "We are going to die..... Pink fuzzy thing""

I cant speak for peacocks. fortunately guineas go to sleep at night.

deb "whos Guineas are about thirty feet from her bedroom door"

I was given 9 keets that were born on Sept 1 this year. They made the sweetest chirping sounds. Now the are almost 4 months old and they can be heard 1/2 mile away. They are noisey and if you have neighbors close by you better check with them before you buy, Don't get me wrong, they are a pleasure to have roaming the pasture and picking bugs and whatever else they find, but I don't want someone to get them then have to get rid of them because of the racket. I live in the country and my closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away so there isn't really a problem but guineas are loud and could be a problem in a suburban area.

Ken

I've had 5 guineas for several months and have 3 females. I can barely hear them up at the house on most days. They are over a year old and I heard they get quieter with age. The females do buckwheat quite a lot, but it is not very loud. As for asking the neighbors, I will ask on the same day they ask me if using their jet engine sounding leaf blower everyday is OK!! I am in an Ag zone & they built here.

Last edited:
I live in the county so thank goodness no ordinances to worry about, but when my few guineas grew up, I worried about their noise with neighbors not so far away that they can't hear continual yelling! I imagine they're irked by our guineas, but people here just put up with whatever you've got in your yard. Yes, I think females are louder because they go on & on with their calling. I can't figure out what their problem is---what do they want!? They lag behind and separate themselves from the group, then sit there and yell. The only sound I hear from the males is that single-syllable call, machine-gun is a good description when they're upset. They seem to get upset a lot, so only when one gets its "horn" caught in the fence do I really hear that something is wrong & different. Ah yes, it's fun to watch them when they gather around something new, like a rope on the ground. They got upset and ran away recently and it dawned on me that I had on a sweater, so I laughed about the "pink bathrobe" comment! Guineas are great, but make sure some noise is going to be OK. I thought mine would never shut up, but as they got older, I realized they had become a lot quieter, so maybe the seasons or age matters. I have 4 little ones now that follow us around the yard (which we think is adorable), and so far only one is making the "I'm a girl" call, but I also have 3 older females, so I guess that would even out. Guineas' personality speaks louder than their voice.

Back
Top Bottom