How NOT to give a chicken a bath.

gig.gif
lau.gif
i'm sorry to laugh, but that is hysterical. I can just picture it so vividly. Wings flappin tying to get out of the sink, dirty wash water flinging all over everything in your kitchen, kids screaming, baby crying, chicken screeching, feet a clawing trying to escape with it's life and its feathers attached, and you with this look on your face like you are going to kill them all.

OMG that's funny. Sad part is? most of us have been in the exact same spot.
I have learned over the many mistaken baths and my girls that my laundry tub, dawn, and a small bowl to pour rinse water over are good. Towels on the floor ahead of time and an already plugged in hair dryer AWAY from the tub and voila! - clean chicken, minimal mess.

Better luck next time!!!!! (and of course photos next time toooooo!!!!)

here's MayMays last bath.

Wow she looks to be enjoying that and she must have just had a dust bath by the color of the water LOL. I gave my Aseel a bath/shower after she got rotten egg stuck on her and boy did she stink! Didn't really like the water but didn't fight too hard.

Well, just plan on getting wet, thats all!
hide.gif

Actually it depends on how the chicken reacts to being lowered into a tub of warm water. Some go AHH! others go ACK! If you just hang on to those wings and wait for the "action" to be over..OH and keep the little human gremlins locked up [hee hee] you will be fine....
thumbsup.gif
fl.gif
lol good thing i dont have kids then i guess lol

I have a Cornish X cross feeder who I couldn't kill when it came to be butchering time so I kept her.... Well one day my roo decided to breed with her and she got DIRTY!!! So it was bath time for poor Darwin she flapped her wings sooooo many times I was wetter that she was... So lets just say bath time was.."Fun" will try to get a pic of her soon

Wow! That sounds like it was quite the ordeal
lau.gif
haha sorry for laughing, it just gave me a great mental image of what would happen hear if the same thing happened to me. Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely remember this what not to do if I ever have to give one of my chickens a bath!

gig.gif
lau.gif
i'm sorry to laugh, but that is hysterical. I can just picture it so vividly. Wings flappin tying to get out of the sink, dirty wash water flinging all over everything in your kitchen, kids screaming, baby crying, chicken screeching, feet a clawing trying to escape with it's life and its feathers attached, and you with this look on your face like you are going to kill them all.

I have learned over the many mistaken baths and my girls that my laundry tub, dawn, and a small bowl to pour rinse water over are good. Towels on the floor ahead of time and an already plugged in hair dryer AWAY from the tub and voila! - clean chicken, minimal mess.

gig.gif
lau.gif

That chicken look's Like what is happening and Oh I hate this all at once
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Oh wow I wasn't expecting this! I did a chicken bath search and SO was not expecting a REAL chicken bath... this is hilarious, I love it! When I first mentioned the chicken bath concern to my husband (he's my go to real life farm guy answer anything man, I'm from the city) he gave me a very serious look and a firm no you do not give your chickens a bath. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?!!

Uhh.. what kind of shampoo?

Oh wow I wasn't expecting this! I did a chicken bath search and SO was not expecting a REAL chicken bath... this is hilarious, I love it! When I first mentioned the chicken bath concern to my husband (he's my go to real life farm guy answer anything man, I'm from the city) he gave me a very serious look and a firm no you do not give your chickens a bath. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?!!

Uhh.. what kind of shampoo?
Tell you what, Alicia...when you give your chickens a bath, we don't want to see pictures of your chickens. We want to see a picture of your husband's face when he sees what you're doing!!
lau.gif

Lol, the first time we 'bathed' the chickens, we needed to get diarrhea out of their feathers. it was late summer, and we didn't have any buckets to put them in. (We do now) So we took them into a large shower... Q, my orpington hen, hopped onto the shower seat, and we just gently sprayed warm water on her. Q was an angel. Then, we put her on a towl on the floor. I tried to dry her off, while my mom put Sky, my white rock, (?) into the shower. While I gently dried Q, I could hear Sky clucking her head off and struggling. It was after we half way dried them both off, we decided to put them in their coop, with their heater. (it has a thermometer in it, so we can see what temp it is while we're inside.) While the rest of the flock was in the chicken tractor. We put them in, and twenty minutes later, Mom and I were talking when I saw the thermometer... it said 90 degrees! I ran out there and let them out, thank fully, they were okay, but I will never forget that.

Back
Top Bottom