How not to heat your coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chantald, Feb 5, 2009.

1. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm posting this here, and yes this will make me look very very stupid, in the hopes that I can help prevent someone else from being this... there is no other word.. dumb..

How not to heat the coop..

[​IMG]

I really didn't think this could happen. I've never had a lamp fall before.. and the cage on it did nothing to stop the damage. We are very lucky the coop did not burn down.

So.. moral of the story.. even when it's -3 outside at night.. either secure that heat lamp with wire and screws so if it does dislodge it doesn't touch something flamable.. or just don't use a heat lamp at all..

[​IMG]

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    man that could have been real bad!!!!!!!!!! burn down the coop and kill all chickens,,, glad it did not happen!!!! looks like you cauht it just in time

3. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Don't be too hard on yourself. There is alot of us here that are learning as we go. (including me) Are your birds OK?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  4. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Lucky you [​IMG].. Thats way I use heat lamps from Premier, spring locks, eyehooks, and if needed, a chain.
    Hoping for an early end of winter

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I am so glad that didn't turn out worse for you and your birds!!!

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Scary!
    Good for you for posting it, sure will make me think carefully before we hang our brooder lamp this year.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Had the same thing happen to me! It didn't fall, the chooks apparently tried a little too hard to vie for the space closest to it and turned the bulb into the wood instead of out. Ours burned in exactly the same way! Burned a hole clear through the wood, smelled bad, but no fire.

New coop, new heat lamp, MUCH better secured, and farther away from the birds.

8. chantald

chantald Chillin' With My Peeps

My birds are fine.. I, on the other hand, feel sick to my stomach when I think of what could have happened..

[​IMG]

9. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    ok now im scared to have my heat lamp. Im glad nothing bad happend to your birds.

10. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    That will sure make one stop and think....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by