How not to heat your coop

chantald

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Mid/UpState NY's Hudson Valley
I'm posting this here, and yes this will make me look very very stupid, in the hopes that I can help prevent someone else from being this... there is no other word.. dumb..

How not to heat the coop..

firehole.jpg

I really didn't think this could happen. I've never had a lamp fall before.. and the cage on it did nothing to stop the damage. We are very lucky the coop did not burn down.

So.. moral of the story.. even when it's -3 outside at night.. either secure that heat lamp with wire and screws so if it does dislodge it doesn't touch something flamable.. or just don't use a heat lamp at all..

hmm.png

man that could have been real bad!!!!!!!!!! burn down the coop and kill all chickens,,, glad it did not happen!!!! looks like you cauht it just in time

Don't be too hard on yourself. There is alot of us here that are learning as we go. (including me) Are your birds OK?
fl.gif

Last edited:
Lucky you
smile.png
.. Thats way I use heat lamps from Premier, spring locks, eyehooks, and if needed, a chain.
Hoping for an early end of winter

Had the same thing happen to me! It didn't fall, the chooks apparently tried a little too hard to vie for the space closest to it and turned the bulb into the wood instead of out. Ours burned in exactly the same way! Burned a hole clear through the wood, smelled bad, but no fire.

New coop, new heat lamp, MUCH better secured, and farther away from the birds.

Back
Top Bottom