How often can I feed yogurt to my chickens?

floridamel

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Tampa, FL
My two RIRs love plain yogurt, and I especially like to give it to them now that it is so hot outside. If you feed your chickens yogurt, how often do you give it to them? I don't want to give them too much (if that is possible).

i give about once a week, but thats just because its semi expensive constantly buying organic plain yogurt, also when i do give it to them if you use 3/4 cup of yogurt, i would scramble a whole egg (shell and all), a bit of scratch, about a table spoon of dark molasses, and a clove or 2 of fresh garlic(pureed). its an all around protien boost/pro biotic/system flush/ crop anti fungal.

i give about once a week, but thats just because its semi expensive constantly buying organic plain yogurt, also when i do give it to them if you use 3/4 cup of yogurt, i would scramble a whole egg (shell and all), a bit of scratch, about a table spoon of dark molasses, and a clove or 2 of fresh garlic(pureed). its an all around protien boost/pro biotic/system flush/ crop anti fungal.

I read where you are not supposed to give your chickens sugar -creates yeast in their crop. Wouldn't molasses contribute to that possibly issue?

I read where you are not supposed to give your chickens sugar -creates yeast in their crop. Wouldn't molasses contribute to that possibly issue?
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Molasses is OK in the proper amounts. It is used in electrolyte water instead of sugar or brown sugar because it has trace vitamins and minerals that the others do not. So sugar of some sort is used in all of those electrolyte supplement packets.

When used too heavily it can have a mild laxative effect, so you would want to avoid that.

I thought that chickens don't digest dairy, so I would wonder about the yogurt itself.
hu.gif

Ever consider fermenting your chicken feed? It does great to boost probiotics as well being more easily digested (than not fermented feed), savings some $, and significantly decreases the stink of the chicken poo!
sickbyc.gif
Check out the link in my signature line if you care for more info.
smile.png

thanks, i also use to give fresh plain yogurt once in a week mix with regular feed and two times in a week all as you say..whole pepper+fresh 2 pc garlic +cinnamon powder +eggs shell+ lime shell powder grind all together and mix with regular feed.. its healthy now ..

Great information! Thank you. I was trying to find someway to get the yogurt into them. I regularly do the garlic, and lots of other protiens, and plenty of scratch, but I did a pie tin with the yogurt, molasses, cinnamon, and cut fresh mint leaf on top of it. Not all of them ate it, but it was GONE! I assume it is much like any other nutrient with chickens, if they need it, they eat it. Kinda funny watching my Gideon the handsome rooster try it. He smelled it and alerted to get over there and eat it. Then he tasted it, made a face and wiped his beak off on the ground. Haha. That roo is constant entertainment. Happy Chickening.

Back
Top Bottom