1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how often do buff orpingtons go broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens asome, Mar 7, 2010.

1. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    i am getting some buff orpingtons and i want to know how often they go broody and how many eggs they can sit on at once

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I have 5 hatchery girls that are 20 months old. I had one girl go broody and hatch chicks last August. She easily covered 9 eggs.

Some breeders breed for broodiness, others try to breed it out, so I think it will largely depend on the individual.

I wish another girl would go broody [​IMG]

3. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I've had two BO's. One went broody for the first time at about a year, and then about every 6 months after that. The other has never been broody.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have 3 BOs ~ one goes broody 2 or 3 times a year and the other 2 have never gone broody. They are all 3 years old this May.

Goldie sat on 12 eggs and hatched out 6 ~ she accidentally broke another fertile one and the remaining 5 never developed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have 24 ten month old Buff orps. I have one that is broody. hissing,spitting, going to kill anyone or hen that dares enter her space- broody. I am so glad it is ONLY one. I take her eggs, take her out of the box-the others are lined up with their legs crossed and she's taking up space in the laying lane. [​IMG]
    I really hope it's only her. But when it is time to buy some eggs from you all to hatch, I will be glad for her.

6. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I can't WAIT for one of mine to go broody but so far no dice!!![​IMG] I have four buff orps. and they are the BEST!!! They are faithful layers and act like spoiled rotten puppies!!![​IMG] Mine are 9mths. old and only a couple times have they showed signs of broody(ish) tendensies but not enough follow through yet...more like "oooh...I think I want to hatch an egg for a few hours and then Oh look my friends are all out digging through the leaves and catching bugs!!![​IMG]...that looks like way more fun:lau and then they hop off their nest and the 3 hour brrody spell seems to magically vanish!!![​IMG] So I guess we'll just have to wait and see this summer???[​IMG]

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have 9 buff orps who just started laying in the last couple of months. Two of them went broody right at the beginning of this month. I put 14 eggs under one girl, and the next day, the other went broody, so i just split the eggs between them. This is my first try at letting broodies brood, so i didn't want to take too big a chance on losing too many eggs. Both of them have lost one egg so far. One is sweet, and one is fierce. But they're both steady - always on the nest. They both also get off the nest once or twice a day. I'm really happy about that too. Hopefully, i'll have chicks about the 23rd of this month.

I also have rir and br, and none of them are looking broody at all. Of course, even if they did, i would have to convince them otherwise. I only have 3 nest boxes for 20 hens.

8. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    One of last springs pullets a Cochin started to lay in November, by Jan she was broody... Kept stealing eggs from other hens etc. I really did not want to hatch her eggs so I replaced them with purebred Brabanter eggs. Total of 4, two hatched and one chick died by day two. With the one lone chick she has been a great mom and who knows when she will go broody again. If she does I will just give her more eggs. It's easier than trying to change her mind. I picked up a Buff Orphington yesterday at the store, it did cross my mind.. wonder if this one will be broody too next spring [​IMG]

Here is the hen w/peeps group:

[​IMG]

9. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have two BOs and neither of them have ever went broody. I'm glad because between my Silkies and my Japanese Bantams, I have enough wanna be Moms! [​IMG]

10. newhatcher2

newhatcher2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    For those that have had BO's go broody, for how long do they act that way?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by