How often do chickens get keel injuries? Or maybe my girl has botulism?

Pics

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hello. I have a 6 month old hen, Louise who's (I thought) had a right leg injury over a week ago. I put her in a small dog crate with a sling so she's separate. It was in the sling that I saw her keel seems like it's going off to one side. She's able to move her legs but not use them to stand. She can even move specific legs when she needs to. When I move her however she fusses BIG time when I touch her keel. She's in pain and lots of it. I've been giving her Vitamin B complex and baby aspirin but it's been force fed lately. She's eating a very tiny bit but mostly when I'm there with her and I don't see the water level going down much either. BUT I am mixing the meds with a little bit of water.
I'm thank you in advance because any help is appreciated.

6 month old hen, Louise who's (I thought) had a right leg injury over a week ago. I put her in a small dog crate with a sling so she's separate. It was in the sling that I saw her keel seems like it's going off to one side. She's able to move her legs but not use them to stand.

When I move her however she fusses BIG time when I touch her keel. She's in pain and lots of it.
Welcome To BYC, I'm sorry to hear about Louise :hugs

If you have photos those may be helpful.
You mention that her keel is going off to the side and she's in pain. Any bruising or sores like a breast blister on the keel? Could she have fallen from a high roost or been injured somehow?

Another thought would be she has a deformity of the keel bone and as she's growing it's curving more. Have you noticed as she was getting older if her legs are straight under her or do they twist, turn or look a bit rotated?

If you have vet care that would be best since she's in a lot of pain. An Xray would hopefully reveal whether it's a break/fracture or deformity and give you a get a better idea of what you can do for her.

Back
Top Bottom