how often do ducks lay egg?

Collect it and Eat it ! ; ) Minus cold weather and molting they are pretty consistent .. FYI most cooks say when baking you can use one Duck egg instead of two Chicken ! enjoy ! Mine are free Range and hide them on me a lot .So unless I know its fresh I often miss them ..

My pekin lays daily and a couple days a week gives me two. She started.laying when we wentt camping. Came home the next day to feed them. Went back one more night and came home to four total. She didnt stop over the winter. It was fun finding eggs in the snow

How do you find white eggs in the snow? Fallow the giant duck prints and look for a round melted spot with an egg in the middle.

You forgot the most important part....cursing under your breath while slogging through the white crap

My pekin lays daily and a couple days a week gives me two. She started.laying when we wentt camping. Came home the next day to feed them. Went back one more night and came home to four total. She didnt stop over the winter. It was fun finding eggs in the snow

How do you find white eggs in the snow? Fallow the giant duck prints and look for a round melted spot with an egg in the middle.

You forgot the most important part....cursing under your breath while slogging through the white crap

Lol, no, I do that in the spring when I have to climb over a barbwire fence and go 15 feet through weeds taller than I am to find the nest she moved (again) because she is the houdini of ducks and can break out of anything. Snow is cake for me. But I do love that silly girl.

My KC's lay daily since the day I got them
big_smile.png

thanks for this thread. I've only ever had chickens. Now owning a duck I was confused when I'd see 1 or even 2 duck eggs in a 24hr period. Glad to know this is normal.

Collect it and Eat it ! ; ) Minus cold weather and molting they are pretty consistent .. FYI most cooks say when baking you can use one Duck egg instead of two Chicken ! enjoy ! Mine are free Range and hide them on me a lot .So unless I know its fresh I often miss them ..

corinne, sounds like a Easter egg hunt all the time at your house.

Was just googling this question and it came up with this thread. We have 3 Pekin ducks for the past 6mths and I am yet to find a single egg! They are free range but only on two acres so you wouldn't think it would be hard to stumble across them! Any suggestions of where to look? Or is it possible they aren't laying?

Was just googling this question and it came up with this thread. We have 3 Pekin ducks for the past 6mths and I am yet to find a single egg! They are free range but only on two acres so you wouldn't think it would be hard to stumble across them! Any suggestions of where to look? Or is it possible they aren't laying?

welcome-byc.gif

How old are they? if their young they may not be yet, it can be anywhere from as little as 4mths right through to almost 10mths, averaging 6-8 falling in the middle. Do they have shelter their locked into at night? my birds free range too but usually lay in the barn before being let out for the day, i do get the odd cheeky one who tries to sneak a nest somewhere though lol

Last edited:
Two of them are old enough as they laid clutches last spring (which produced 22 ducklings, 9 of whom survived) but nothing since or nothing that I have found! and the other female is one of those ducklings so is about 6mths old. They have a house but aren't locked in it and don't use it I often see them at night asleep under the tree on the lawn. We don't have predators here in NZ like foxes etc so they are pretty safe. I guess I could lock them in and see what happens although we are going into winter now so do they stop laying like chickens do?

I bought my four Pekins in December 2012 and they started laying about two months ago so much longer than I expected because they were nearly totally feathered in December with only a little down left. For a while there I was getting an egg each a day (yup have four females what luck) but then they suddenly stopped so I left an egg for them and they seem to have started with a vengeance again. Love the duck eggs just to eat they are delicious poached fried or scrambled people tend to think that you only use them in cakes but they are gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom