how often do ducks lay egg?

I have a pekin and i think she is laying eggs somewhere..i have not seen her with the rest of the ducks for a day and a half, could she be on a nest some where?? we have a field with tall grass by our creek , could she be in there with a nest?? she is always out and about in our yard....kinda odd for her

I have a pekin and i think she is laying eggs somewhere..i have not seen her with the rest of the ducks for a day and a half, could she be on a nest some where?? we have a field with tall grass by our creek , could she be in there with a nest?? she is always out and about in our yard....kinda odd for her
Maybe a nest maybe a predator. sorry to say but it's a reality of life when we have ducks. I'd comb the area real good she maybe hiding up under neath something.
fl.gif

I have 2 I think black Saxon or mixed ducks. I always thought I had both girls because when they started laying last summer, it's always, every day lays 2 eggs. Mainly laid at same nest, looks like same time. I just thought one crawled on right after another. Now I find one mating with other. Since I don't have a male could one get more dominate and think she is a male? Could one sick possibly be laying 2 eggs every day? They are like best friends and are always together. I even worry about something happening to one of them!

Just came to read this thread becuase I have a duck who started laying Tuesday and evey other day since has layed two. One in her swimming pool!

My Pekin started laying and I'm incubating them. Up to 5 eggs and she's laying daily. Her drakes are mallard, khaki Campbell, Pekin and blue Swedish. I'm so excited to see how diverse the ducklings will be. I have 3 other ducks but they haven't started laying yet. I've got 28 barred rock Cochins brewing too and candled them today and saw swimmers!!!! I'm so excited!

I have 2 Rouen ducks 1 female and 1 male I got my first egg today and we are all so excited the boys want to leave them to hatch but my question is will they hatch and how long will it take? the boys will be heart broke if I take them out of the coop but I hate for them to go to waste if I leave them how long before I know they are no good and should toss them? I'm new to this duck business but we are loving it
thanks any advise will helpf
Elizabeth

Last edited:
I have 10 indian runner hens, but I only get 1 egg a day. About every 4th egg is like double the size. These are young birds, but should I get more than 1 a day?

I have pekins, rouens and a black duck. They have been mating a lot but no eggs. They were hatched around Easter of this year. How long after mating do they start laying eggs? And how long before they hatch and how do I tell if they are any good?

Ok my blue Swedish has been laying a egg a day in a nest for about 6 days then she didn't today so my question is she skipping a day in building her clutch, I took the first 5 and put golf balls in so I have 5 in the incubator and there is one "real" egg in the nest?

Ok my blue Swedish has been laying a egg a day in a nest for about 6 days then she didn't today so my question is she skipping a day in building her clutch, I took the first 5 and put golf balls in so I have 5 in the incubator and there is one "real" egg in the nest?
Rest most likely they lay heavy then have a day or 3 rest before starting back sometimes even longer, their body works great just the way they were made.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom