how often do ducks lay egg?

Oh good!! Thank you so much we are learning so much with our ducks it's great to have support
BYC is a great place to learn and of course #1 is having these beautiful critters.
smile.png

I hope she will kick out the golf balls after she starts sitting on the eggs, I feel bad that we took 6 eggs to put in the incubator but I didnt know if she would be broody or not so lets hope she does!!

I hope she will kick out the golf balls after she starts sitting on the eggs, I feel bad that we took 6 eggs to put in the incubator but I didnt know if she would be broody or not so lets hope she does!!
Might not get a broody this time of year but then again them girls can be fickle. If and when she goes broody You take out the golf balls.

My Rouen started laying the first day of sept she then skipped a day then went several days not laying she now has 8 eggs it's the 18th they are fertile should I leave them or do they go bad after awhile she has them in 3 different sections of her nest she doesn't sit on them during the day at all not sure about the night how do i know if she is going to sit on them or not I'm new to the duck and chicken world thanks Elizabeth

My Rouen started laying the first day of sept she then skipped a day then went several days not laying she now has 8 eggs it's the 18th they are fertile should I leave them or do they go bad after awhile she has them in 3 different sections of her nest she doesn't sit on them during the day at all not sure about the night how do i know if she is going to sit on them or not I'm new to the duck and chicken world thanks Elizabeth
The eggs are usually viable for about 7-10 days before they begin to lose hatch ability she may not go broody especially since it's late in the season might have to wait till next spring. If you want ducklings this time of year you may have to use a bator.

If I use a bator will the little ducklings be safe to put with the big ducks since they are their offspring or do j have to keep them separate
Thanks
Elizabeth

The adult ducks will kill them. I brought one of my duckies out for some fresh air and the Drakes ran over quite aggressively.. I snatched him up before they could hurt him. I'm incubating all of mine and raising them inside and building a separate pin for them until they are large enough to free range and defend themselves. I've got about 50 ducks eggs incubating with a couple dozen chicken eggs. I'm still kinda new at this but I'm certain all the ducks see is a small snack.

Back
Top Bottom