How often do pekin ducks lay eggs?

my 4 year-old Pekin has only ever laid eggs once in a while. She seems healthy-but she does limp and has a lot the moldy looking spots on her bill. She is VERY spoiled and has a GREAT husband that watches over her-I'm almost jealous LOL. When she does lay an egg it's got a soft shell. I feed them all-flock,scratch, a sprinkle of oyster shell along with any kitchen scaps I have. I really try to give them fresh greens too. Is there some kind of disorder that causes egg problems?

WIN_20180528_09_25_59_Pro.jpg

She pretty! I’d try putting out oyster shell in a separate in a bowl close to her feed. Sounds like she needs more and it can come from her bones if she doesn’t get it other ways. At 4 yrs she won’t lay as much anyway so if she’s always been sporadic you can expect more less eggs. These breeds created to be super layers can have reproductive problems and for her to be 4 and not have any thing besides a soft shell is really amazing. Do you think she over weight? That can cause egg laying issues. But I’d start with the oyster shell. The bill spotting is normal in all female Pekins. What has caused the limp?

Thank you Miss Lydia for replying. You are my go to girl LOL. I'm thinking the limp is from a case of bumble foot. I took her to a vet and she went threw 2 courses of antibiotics. It healed up well. She may be overweight? She is VERY food friendly. I'm thinking maybe a disorder. I also have 2 BEAUTIFUL Blue Swedish hens. They came 2 summers ago. Thy molted in Nov-Dec and have not started laying again yet.

My Runner in my profile pic is my Pekins husband. They are a funny couple. I have a creek right below my house-so I got them to follow me. My Pekin limps and takes forever. I started carrying her-husband right at my heals. So look what I got for our short stroll to the water.
WIN_20200130_15_05_09_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200130_15_05_09_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
My Runner in my profile pic is my Pekins husband. They are a funny couple. I have a creek right below my house-so I got them to follow me. My Pekin limps and takes forever. I started carrying her-husband right at my heals. So look what I got for our short stroll to the water.View attachment 2021672View attachment 2021672
I bet they are soo cute in that!

Back
Top Bottom