How often do you visit your chickens?

I visit them about 3 times a day during the week and spend lots more time with them on the weekends when it's cleaning day. I just love how they "talk" to you and love to see what you're doing. I had the air gun in the coop the other day and a couple watched from the door. They weren't even scared! They were supervising the construction, I guess. I am glad they want to be near me.

Less than I wish I could. Usually twice day, when I let them out in the morning and close them in at night, sometimes more on the weekends if I'm working in the yard.

The coop is at least a couple hundred feet from the house and I've got a toddler; between that and a full time job I don't have much free time! Once my daughter's in bed though I spend a few minutes catching up with the birds before I put them up, I have one BCM who isn't happy until she's had a chance to sit on my lap.

I have the best place set up under a large cedar. Treats for the girls cold water for me a book w/ my glasses...not that I get much reading done. Between the garden and the chickens... it's an all day affair. So awesome to have such a great hobby. I
love.gif
it
wee.gif

I check on mine 20 times at least i lost count, i have a pen for them so they can graze, it is near the window. So i go and watch them from there alot!
ya.gif

Or i go out and sit with my birds. Right now, we have chicks got them a few days ago and i check on them more then i do the big birds lol.

frow.gif

Last edited:
I am a stay-at-home mom also.
smile.png
I spend a lot of the day outside just watching them (usually when I should be doing something else...lol). I go out in the morning to give them fresh food and water and give them treats periodically throughout the day. In the evening I give them fresh water again and let them out to free range a bit before they go into the coop for the night. While they are free ranging I set up my folding chair to sit with them. They are so fun to watch!!

I visit my chickens at least 5 times a day. I have free rangers so I just walk up to their hangout spot to check on them and say hi several times a day. It is soo hot here, 104-109, I want to try to catch them early if they start having problems.

I sure am glad to read that my behavior is normal. I work full-time, so during the week I am also limited to how often I get out there. I am really looking forward to retirement, so I can spend more time with them. On the weekends, I get out there as often as possible. I also have a bench set up in the chicken yard, so I can sit with them, and it is always a thrill when any of the girls hop up on the bench with me. I just got a hammock, and I am really anxious to get it set up. They have a very generous yard to run around in, and we are going to also put up fencing in a large area, so they can free-range safely, since we have a couple of dogs. I always put out fresh water when I get home from work, since we are really baking here in Texas. Sitting out in their yard has pretty much taken the place of watching TV in the evenings, and I love every minute of it.

three time minimum, usually more: to throw them scaps, let them outside to free-range with supervision, check to see who just laid an egg when they sing the egg song, check how the current newest editions to the flock are socialize new chicks, feed and water them, or, mostly, to just sit out there with them in one of the runs and relax after a long day because chickens are the most calming creatures i can think of.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom