1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often is a hen receptive to the rooster each month?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michiele, Dec 29, 2011.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    All of our chickens are pullets (7-10 months old). We have 6 hens and 1 rooster. As the hens get to laying age, I see them squatting. I read this means they are receptive to the rooster. Once a hen starts laying, is she receptive all month long or just certain times of the month? It seems that mine will do their squatting for a couple of weeks but then stop... I also noticed that one of mine stopped laying and also stopped squatting.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Receptive daily and often multiple times within a day. My hens belonging to harems typically are covered immediately after producing each egg. Hens will also submit to more than one rooster during day, especially if males are mature cocks. If a rooster is particularly randy, then hen may be covered by him multiple times during course of day.

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My roo is a equal opportunity lover. He will grab what ever hen is close by, and give her love, whether she wants it or no. I have 14 hens & 1 roo, and some of my BO's will squat, my BR, EE & Light Brahma's run for the hills when Owl comes a callin. [​IMG] [​IMG] And then the chase is on. Especially when my hubby tells Owl "Go Get Some!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yah, there is no "season" in which to plan controlled insemination, like studding out mammals. Once a pullet matures enough to lay, whether she presents herself in a receptive squat or not, her eggs can be fertilized by any mature rooster's efforts.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:and most likely will be....

just sayin'

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

And then remain fertile with those roosters goods for a reliable 2-3 weeks, and up to about a month or so with slowly declining fertility.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Daily at roughly 30 second intervals - [​IMG].

8. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Whenever the rooster decides she should be...
    [​IMG]
    Actually, i have no idea.

9. BirdMan32

BirdMan32 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Arizona
    Yep, we have a rooster who is very protective and assertive to his 10 girls. He will mate several times a day sometimes 2 or 3 times with the same hen/pullet.

Sheesh.....this guy.

10. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I don't think my pullets are aware there is a time limit or they would have already protested the multiple matings per day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by