how often is normal for a rooster to crow???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flowerchicks, Feb 13, 2010.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    My 27 week old silkie roo started crowing about a month ago. He crows every 10-13 SECONDS for hours. Is this normal? Is it because he is still a teenager? I don't mind the crowing but I see other posts that mention their roo's crow every 3-4 or even every 15 min. Is there any chance he will slow down as he gets older? [​IMG]

Also, does anybody know how far the sound travels to where it would be loud enough to wake up neighbors? The closest houses are about 50 yards away, and I am pretty sure the bedrooms are all on the far side of the house. The coop is only about 25 feet from the side of my house, my bedroom is in the front and I can really only hear him if my window is open. I think I am hyper sensitive to the sound because I worry it is bothering the neighbors. Just like when I hear a dog barking, I listen to see if its mine, if it's not, I just tune it out.
    thanks

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I do not have a roo, but I do hear them crowing all hours, and for hours.
    50 yards seems far enough that the crowing should not be bothering your neighbors!!

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Very dependent on the rooster. I have a young mixed cockerel that crows all the time (really need to find him a home [​IMG]), but my Sebright only crows when someone strange (like a neighbor) comes by the coop.

4. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I am hoping that as he gets older, he won't feel the need to announce himself 4 times a minute. Any chance of that habit changing. Also, he only has one "girlfriend" and she isnt even laying yet. The grown up girls wont have anything to do with him, and he is afraid of them. Wasn't sure if the fact he isn't "getting any" (so to speak [​IMG] ) is what makes him so persistant in his crowing.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress

Sep 6, 2007
    Corydon, Indiana
    [​IMG]

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

He may be hearing another roo and answering.

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    We have a little bantam, he gets everyone else crowing. It lasts ALL DAY LONG! I've even heard them in the middle of the night!

8. beerman

beerman Songster

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    Roosters and crowing are like cops and doughnuts, anyplace, anytime [​IMG]

9. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Songster

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    Quote:He is the only rooster around. Nobody has chickens that I am aware of, that's why I am concerned about the constant crowing. When I was growing up in this house 35+ years ago, there were chickens, peacocks, horses, even a couple cows up the road, now, I am the only one with anything close to farm animals. [​IMG]

10. Sequin

Sequin Songster

May 20, 2008
    I have 4 roosters of 4 different breeds. They don't seem to crow that often. Mostly if there is a problem or they are 'talking' with each other. My neighbor has 2 roosters and hers also do not crow that much, but they are louder than any of mine. So, give it a little time, and see if he doesn't settle down a bit. He might just be using his voice to assert himself in the flock. Once the girls all come to adore him he will probably quiet down - but then again, it could just keep going the way it is now. I was worried too though, so I checked our local ordinances and poultry falls under livestock and the sounds associated with them are allowable. So, that made me feel a little better knowing that - you might consider checking out your local laws for your own peace of mind. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: