how often is normal for a rooster to crow???

I have 2 roos. One doesn't crow unless he feels necessary...in the morning, in the evening, if he hears another roo, etc. My other roo doesn't shut up. He'll go on for an hour and stop for an hour. He'll crow at any hour for any reason. I think it depends on the breed.

We have 2 roos. The dominant one crows all the time. We did a little experiment to see if our rooster would crow less if the other roo was out of sight. Sure enough he crowed less if there was no competition but he crows when he hears an ambulance, fire or police sirens. He would start crowing at night when my husband uses his flashlight to check on them and the property. He is a crowing maniac!!
D.gif
Our ordinance says no animal sounds between 10pm to 6 am, so we are good. Our neighbors say the crowing in the daytime does not bother them. Our other neighbors dogs bark louder than our roosters. I think we are ok especially when we give them a dozen eggs for free.

Oh lord!!! I don't think they have a normal. Just whatever suits em.......... I have some that are like a grandfather clock. Some that crow maybe 2 or 4 times a day and then there's the one I aptly named Broken Record..... He never, hardly ever stops. Just back to back to back once he gets on a roll.
barnie.gif

I think it depends on the breed somewhat, and the individual rooster
and their position in the pecking order.

My buff orp cockerels never crowed for me, but they were the lowest ranking in a 5 cockerel flock so......the top 2 ranks did all the crowing.
I have heard people on BYC say they had a roo that never crowed until they got rid of the dominant rooster, then suddenly the no-crower "learned" to crow!

I have a RIR rooster (almost 1 year old) and a Buff Orp/Barred Rock cockerel (21-22 weeks old) and neither of them seem to crow obsessively. Just a few times in the morning, then occasionally just if something in the yard stirs them up. They crow in demand to be let out if I am slow about getting the coop opened up but that's an obvious "cause and effect" thing.

I can't really hear them from inside the house with the windows closed and they are in MY back yard. They have a kinda deep crow that sounds nice and doesn't seem to penetrate the walls too much. I give the closest neighbors free eggs and do my part to try to keep communications open. None of my neighbors seem to mind the roos.

My roo is an only roo-child. He has no compitition and, though there are 5 hens, the only one that is "his" is the one who he was raised with, and she doesnt even lay yet. It just seemed like crowing every 10-13 (15 max) seconds for at least 2 hours every morning, seemed a bit crazy. Don't they ever get a sore throat??? But, this is my first rooster, and other than that fault, he is a great rooster. very sweet and cuddly.
love.gif
And Cute, too
big_smile.png

HAHAHAHA! Your asking the most painful question I have had so far in this crazy quest to raise chickens.!!!!!

There is no rhyme or reason to the crowing in general. It is all specific,( Like why do men puff up their chest at the beach?), to the individual!!!

Insulate your coop, close the doors on them in the night. Let them out when your comfortable everyone has had enough sleep.(8:30-9:00)

I went for a walk and from about 1/8th mile from the property what did I hear? My docile sweet Barnvelder roo notifying the neighborhood of his presence:duc

And He amps it up every time he "visits" with the hens. So you will have to get to know your flock, and your neighbors
old.gif
and see what works best for you. I find that keeping the peace during the sleeping hours works best!!!!
clap.gif

Kandi

My four Buff roos crow for hours at a stretch, day, night, it doesn't matter, they're up for it. None of those 4 can see each other (I had to separate them) but one is in the same pen with the hens and my Blue roo. The Blue is at the bottom of the pecking order and is not allowed to crow, mate, eat or sleep when he wants to. He has to sneak around for any of it. The main pen is along the back of my house, where the bathroom window is, and waking up needing to use the bathroom is quite an experience!
D.gif
As soon as that light goes on there's a chorus from the back yard! You can't even sneak in there with the light off, they ALWAYS hear me, and it takes a long time for them to settle down and get quiet again.

My boys aren't too bad, maybe a few times a day for a few minutes at a time. One will start and the others will chime in. I don't really see any rhyme or reason yet. Nobody seems to do it to set an alarm, like crazy doggie getting too close. Maybe they just feel all safe and secure
smile.png

But I wonder what on earth they have to crow about at 2 am! My coop is insulated, but I still hear them in a muffled sort of way. I think it must be absolutely awful in there for the hens and other non-crowers. Can chickens' hearing go bad from being too close to crowing roosters?

I currently have 1 roo, he crows continually, and sometimes even in the middle of the night. I think it just depends on the individual rooster as others have stated, not necessarily the breed-although some breeds are known to be quieter than others. I did have 2 roos a while ago, and the dominant one did all the crowing. the lesser roo crowed maybe 8 times a day, while the alpha roo crowed every 10-30secs. Alpha roo got all the "action" as the hens didnt give it up to the lesser roo, and alpha roo wouldnt allow lesser roo to try, so I think his "not getting any" has nothing to do with it. Also the lesser of the 2 roos wasnt allowed to crow. If he tried the alpha would come over and give chase or try to mount him to show dominance. Perhaps you just have a very vocal roo, or perhaps the more dominant roo of your flock will put an end to it after he gets a mind to.

24/7!!!! LOL mine even crow all NIGHT!!!! They crow all day and all night! It seems like the roosters that are "Higher up on the pecking order" are the ones that crow the most!!!

Back
Top Bottom