How often should three silkie hen pets be checked on by a career when I’m away on holidays.

Veb

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
Australia, New South Wales
How often should be three silkies be checked on for food and water when away on holidays. Secure cage plenty of water and a 5 kg food container in their house, they have a very secure safe and large run. Thought once per week.

I'd install a camera to see them in the coop and if possible in their run and use it before going on vacation. I really have a hard time leaving my chickens at home without me there longer than two days.

I'd probably have someone house sit for me.. but I really consider my girls my pets, and I have bear and other animals here to worry about attacking them.

With that said.. if you feel comfortable with their safety maybe twice a week? I'd test your food and water methods before taking off to see if they really wouldn't need someone there that often. Plus you'll want eggs collected.

Thankyou a camera is a good idea, my three silkies are pets too, also having a caravaner farm stay is a great idea. We are on five acres in southern New South Wales Australia, it’s quite cold at the moment most caravaners are heading North Queensland for warmer climate, as are we. Thankyou great ideas much appreciated

Thankyou a camera is a good idea, my three silkies are pets too, also having a caravaner farm stay is a great idea. We are on five acres in southern New South Wales Australia, it’s quite cold at the moment most caravaners are heading North Queensland for warmer climate, as are we. Thankyou great ideas much appreciated
Do you have 4H there? Maybe they could hook you up with a kid that wouldn't mind making some extra cash that would do a good job. Or ask a neighbor kid. You could probably have them look on your chickens every day for probably less than your other help.

When I’m home they are checked on daily, a bit hard when away on holidays, man I get to check on them charges $15 a visit so pretty expensive when away for 4 weeks.
I'd pay for daily visits, unless it's cost prohibitive for you. Once a week is way too infrequent, if something as simple as the water gets knocked over, they'd be dead before anyone ever came around.

If you plan on going the camera route you may need more than 1, depending on your set up (I only have 1 camera so it only shows birds on the roost), and definitely test it well ahead of when you need it.

I'd pay for daily visits, unless it's cost prohibitive for you. Once a week is way too infrequent, if something as simple as the water gets knocked over, they'd be dead before anyone ever came around.

If you plan on going the camera route you may need more than 1, depending on your set up (I only have 1 camera so it only shows birds on the roost), and definitely test it well ahead of when you need it.

Attachments

• C9666471-AFE3-4E32-8BA5-BD32BD8D5D99.jpeg
    C9666471-AFE3-4E32-8BA5-BD32BD8D5D99.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom