How often to change the litter in the brooder cage

I have one of those long skinny chick feeders and found by accident that a piece of 1 x 3 placed in front of the feeder helps to keep them from scratching pine shavings into their food. At first I sat the feeder on the board to raise it up a bit but they scooted it off the board. When I noticed they had moved it, I went to put the feeder back on and saw that there was no bedding in the feeder. Left it there for 2 days now and it's working like a charm. Gotta love a happy accident!

Did you make the feeder? It looks like a bucket attached to a divided plastic plate? Does the feed flow well or do you find you have to shake it sometimes? I'm looking at solutions for a little coop we're making for a juvenile growing pen and saw some little buckets at the hardware store. Those plus your pictures are giving me ideas...

Oh, and I didn't answer your question! I change on an as-needed basis because the poops get bigger with the chicks and how dense the population is makes a huge difference. You don't want ammonia smell at all or feet to be crusty but I suspect that most of us change it more often than is necessary.
You mentioned it not flowing .?
My feeders have that problem They are full but i have to go shake them off and on all day.

This looks to be above the plate. What is the underplate you use?.Seems to have a separator
Good idea but then i wonder when it flows will it come out where it runs off the plate or are the holes in the bottom ?
Maybe a BETTER idea then the sides.

Tell us about this one.

Did you make the feeder? It looks like a bucket attached to a divided plastic plate? Does the feed flow well or do you find you have to shake it sometimes? I'm looking at solutions for a little coop we're making for a juvenile growing pen and saw some little buckets at the hardware store. Those plus your pictures are giving me ideas...

Oh, and I didn't answer your question! I change on an as-needed basis because the poops get bigger with the chicks and how dense the population is makes a huge difference. You don't want ammonia smell at all or feet to be crusty but I suspect that most of us change it more often than is necessary.

I didn't make the feeder. My co-worker's father-in-law sells them, and I figured I'd get them from him and help them out, even though I was planning on making my feeder out of some PVC tubing.

They have about a 1 inch hole over each tray section and the feed flows pretty freely into the tray. There is some left inside the bucket when it gets low but at that point I just refill it. It's working great with the chick starter, but I can't say how well it would work with larger feed since I've not seen how big it is yet.

This looks to be above the plate. What is the underplate you use?.Seems to have a separator
Good idea but then i wonder when it flows will it come out where it runs off the plate or are the holes in the bottom ?
Maybe a BETTER idea then the sides.

Tell us about this one.
Under the bucket is some kind of divided tray. I didn't make it so I can't even begin to source it out. I've not had any problems with it function wise, it does what it is designed to do pretty well. When I told my co-worker's F-I-L that the chicks were scratching all the food out, he told me that it's not intended as a chick feeder. What did I know, eh? Anyway putting the cardboard ring on top of the food fixed anything that I would have considered a design flaw. I'm considering making some out of a thicker plastic, say like one of those throw away cutting boards. Those things are ideal for all sorts of uses, not just in the kitchen.

I am new to this and was going to bring my leaves from fall to the dump but I will save them now. Sounds like a plan , can't hurt but try it. I think my 12 reds will have fun like little kids do scatching - playing- exploring!

Thanks. I've got 5 chicks that I've had for 3 weeks now. The chicks are 4 or 5 weeks old now and have just started losing the fluff on the tops of their heads (if that gives a better indication of age?)

I just changed their litter again today, I don't have a deep enough cage to just cover it up with more, so I did scoop it all out and started with fresh. I don't have the problem of them scratching their food all over the floor anymore, as I put some cardboard in place where they can still stand on the feeder but not scratch it out so easily. It's been working very well, the chicks can still eat and jump up on the feeder, but they have not scratched all their food out now.

I like the looks of that cardboard. I will try that with my 3 week Olds

I put my chicks on pine shavings from day one, and change it when it starts to smell bad. As they get older this will become more frequent. With my most recent six it was about once a week at first, then twice a week then finally about once every 2-3 days.

Just a quick question. I've been changing the litter (wood shavings) in my brooder cage once a week. How often is the recommended period between cleanings?
We change them every other day and make sure to seal the bag id shavings up as tight as possible.

There is a certain amount of moisture in pine shavings, which obviously dries up quickly under their heat source. Once it dries, it releases a ton of dust as they kick it around - which can be very bad for the chicks as well as whatever room you are keeping them in, especially if it is an area where you spend any time in.

Anytime we brood chicks now, they are from our flock - without a concern of disease from the new chicks, we toss the shavings to the flock and allow them to kick and compost. They aren't entirely wasted.

Side note - if you have a lumber mill in your area that process a safe, softwood or coniferous lumber, you can a lot of the time get garbage bags of shavings from them, for free. These will have a higher moisture content and are unscreened, which can give you better pieces. Just do some diligence prior to make sure they are clean, and free of any anti mold (worked in the lumber industry for years, right out of high school)

I put my chicks on pine shavings from day one, and change it when it starts to smell bad. As they get older this will become more frequent. With my most recent six it was about once a week at first, then twice a week then finally about once every 2-3 days.
Good to know . Mine are 3 weeks old and once a week is not enough any more.

I have my 4 week olds in a 3 man tent and changing the bedding is a total PITA because I can't stand in it so I have been just adding bedding and changing out only the really soiled stuff and that seems to work and keep the smell down. So far I have really only changed the bedding on a weekly basis. I do have piddle pads under the aspen shavings but they are becoming juvenile delinquents and pulling it up, pecking through and tearing it apart. I am thinking the next time I clean it I'll be taking all the pads out and not replace them, just add the shavings/mulch chips we created with a wood chipper and brush pile. I have the tent lined with garbage bags too and they tend to leave that alone- I suspect though not for long. Now if I can just stop them from pooping in their water dish, I would feel alot better.

Back
Top Bottom