How often & when do you turn

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nancylee, Oct 10, 2009.

1. nancylee

nancylee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    Hi everyone
    Just asking so I might be able to hatch better. How often & when do you turn? Also what is this about air movement. When should I remove plugs? 1602 hova-bator. Flat little island no mountains (see one end to other) [​IMG]. It's interesting to see how everyone is different.
    Nancy

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    When i turned mine before my auto turner i did 5. I know it's odd numbers...3,5,7 etc.
    Plugs come out to adjust the humidity. Like if it is to high, pull the plug for a while. Still air people pull the bottom ones for air flow but keep the top ones in. I have a fan so i don't do that. I knwo still air ones you wanna run a little hotter 100-101 rather 99-100 in fan ones.
    Hope that helped, i am sure more peeps will chime in!

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I turned at 8am, 4pm, 12am or thereabouts through day 18.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I had to hand turn a batch of eggs when a turner motor went out. I did it as I left for work (6 A M), when I got home from work (?) and just before I went to bed (8 to 9 P M). This only lasted for a few days, ntil I got a replacement motor. It doesn't really matter when as much as the number of times. I think the more you turn the better. Mama hen doesn't count the number of turns. She does each time she moves on the nest, works for her.

5. Hi! I'm terribly slack about hand-turning eggs.
    I usually remember to turn *some time* in the morning and *some time* in the evening. Maybe a couple times a week, I remember to turn around *lunch-ish*. It's slack, I know.
    I just candled 28 Day 17 eggs and pulled out 2 that had 'stuck and died'.
    Thank goodness for auto-turners, hahaha.

I don't use the plugs here at all.

[​IMG]
    Lisa
    edited to add: You live on Prince Edward Island? I adore the Anne Of Green Gables stories and would love to visit.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  6. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i use home made bator.

turn them by hand 3 times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by