How old are my chickens?

Christie Rhae

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Big Island, Hawaii
I bought 6 chickens from a sweet little spanish lady who raises alot of chickens. She says these are all girls because they are redish. The boys are a different color. I thought these were about 3 1/2 months old but after looking at some other pics on this site I think mine might be 8 weeks? Is is possible that these are all hens?
These chickens are so sweet and tame. We have had them 2 weeks and just love them.
photo.jpg

It looks as though you have the age correct at about 8 weeks!

Keep an eye on the one in the middle, it's comb looks a little red and it's wattles are coming in!

Last edited:
MMMMMM they might not even be 8 weeks, heres a picture of mine at 8 weeks old
as you can see the one behind the white EE is bigger than yours, and I suspect that yours are New hapshire reds if they are New Hampshire reds then you might have some roos, but if there sex links then you have all pullets, and about the age Im guessing about 5 weeks.
birds%20033.JPG

Oh yes yours is definitely much bigger than my chickens. Mine still have some pin feathers. No wonder they wont eat most of the "finisher" feed the feed store sold me. They still need that baby feed.
I have seen a couple of them kinda do that chest bump wing flap thing to each other. Do only roosters do that?

Yes they still need to be on chick starter, there supposed to be on it until week 16, but Im gonna give it to them just til 12 weeks and after that Ill put them on flock raiser.
About the bump wing flap thing is done by both males and females, mine do it all the time and there all pullets.

Gosh now that I have done more reading on this board. I might have more than one rooster. Eventually I hope to be able to spot them. I used to raise Budgerigars and after years of breeding and showing them I could spot males and female very early.

The other morning I had to take a second look cuz I thought " Is that chicken's comb bloody?" It just seems to be redder and more pronounced than the others.

Well I just feel terrible. Because of my ignorance I thought my chicks were much older than they were. As soon as I brought them home I plopped them in our new chicken coop outdoors and when I went to buy more feed I told the feed store that they were 3 months old and they sold me "Finisher" feed. Now two weeks later I realize my chicks are probably 5 or 6 weeks old and have not had chick feed and have been in a drafty ol' coop. A couple are sneezing. Sigh. I hope I didn't do any permanent damage. I am going to go visit the "illness" message threads.
Jeez how could I be such a dork? Poor things.

Well since you are in Hawaii, I'm sure they will be fine
cool.png

Don't stress about feeding them finisher - it happens. The good news is that you were feeding and loving them. Go ahead and give them the chick feed now and maybe even supplement with some scrambled egg now and again. They will be OK, but do keep an eye on the sneezing.

And I agree with the others. The little guy in the center of the pic is most likely a boy.

Back
Top Bottom