1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How old do roosters start crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jayde88, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jayde88

jayde88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Hello,
    I was wondering, how old do roosters normally start crowing?
    My little rooster just crowed, he's 9 weeks old, still peeps and barely has all his feathers... it took me by surprise because I thought he was a pullet and wasn't expecting the roos to crow for a while yet. Wow, they sure do grow up fast! Is this young for a rooster to start crowing?
    Thanks!

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had a white leghorn roo crow at 2 weeks old :\\ Thats my record.

3. Aquadogspa

Aquadogspa New Egg

Jul 5, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    That is about the same age that my rooster started crowing, in fact about 10 seconds after I had just told my husband that it would be a while before he was able to crow! I think he did it just to show off! [​IMG]

4. jayde88

jayde88 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    Attack Chicken -- 2 WEEKS OLD????!!!!!! WOW!!!! [​IMG]
    Aquadogspa, yeah, funny how that happens! I was sure he was a hen, even named him Alice Isabella... [​IMG]

5. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 at 14 weeks that I have yet to hear crow. But I accepted another one who is not much older and he crows like crazy.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I believe they crow whenever they darned well feel like it. My ducks just started honking. 18 weeks.

7. duckidaho

duckidaho Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Our Roo started crowing at 3-4 weeks. Just enough of a squawk to let us know he was a he and not a her.

8. kandoos

kandoos Taking a Break

Jul 22, 2009
    it depends on the breed of the rooster, some of them like barred rocks start crowing erly at 3-5 weeks and other like australorps and sex-link crow after the 12th week ,,, and so

9. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Mine are about 11 weeks...have yet to hear any of them crow. I keep going out there |"crowing" right beside my biggest Roo,but he just looks up at me like I'm crazy. LOL

10. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My bantam Frizzle Cochin is 2 months old and is just starting with the strangled sounds. I heard it for the first time yesterday and again this morning...he sounds so pathetic lol I was hoping he would wait awhile to start crowing, but guess he didn't agree.

I did have a little bantam OEGB at one time that started crowing at 5 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by