How old do roosters start crowing?

jayde88

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Hello,
I was wondering, how old do roosters normally start crowing?
My little rooster just crowed, he's 9 weeks old, still peeps and barely has all his feathers... it took me by surprise because I thought he was a pullet and wasn't expecting the roos to crow for a while yet. Wow, they sure do grow up fast! Is this young for a rooster to start crowing?
Thanks!

That is about the same age that my rooster started crowing, in fact about 10 seconds after I had just told my husband that it would be a while before he was able to crow! I think he did it just to show off!
big_smile.png

Attack Chicken -- 2 WEEKS OLD????!!!!!! WOW!!!!
ep.gif

Aquadogspa, yeah, funny how that happens! I was sure he was a hen, even named him Alice Isabella...
hide.gif

Our Roo started crowing at 3-4 weeks. Just enough of a squawk to let us know he was a he and not a her.

it depends on the breed of the rooster, some of them like barred rocks start crowing erly at 3-5 weeks and other like australorps and sex-link crow after the 12th week ,,, and so

Mine are about 11 weeks...have yet to hear any of them crow. I keep going out there |"crowing" right beside my biggest Roo,but he just looks up at me like I'm crazy. LOL

My bantam Frizzle Cochin is 2 months old and is just starting with the strangled sounds. I heard it for the first time yesterday and again this morning...he sounds so pathetic lol I was hoping he would wait awhile to start crowing, but guess he didn't agree.

I did have a little bantam OEGB at one time that started crowing at 5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom