1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how old does a cow have to be breedable

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by samandmike, Dec 14, 2010.

1. samandmike

samandmike Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    i have a gunnsey female about 18 months and what i think is a jursey bull about the same age i have never seen him try to get on her i got them both at stock sale as bottle calvs when i got her there was another female that looked like her with consecutive number i have heard if she is a twin she wont breed is that true or is my bull just too young to breed her thanks for any help

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    No sooner then 2 is standard around here....so it would have the calf at almost 3 years of age.

ETA: If she was a twin to a bull yes she is probably sterile. Your vet can do a palpation test and tell you if everything feels normal. My vet charges an office visit fee to tell me but worth that....$35

If you are 100% positive the calf was twined with a female calf then she should not be sterile.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Ideally a heifer should be 2+ years old when she calves for the first time so she is old enought to breed. If she was a twin to another heifer she should be able to be bred.....if her twin was a bull tho she could very well be a free martin and they are sterile.

4. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    im new to this farming thing and have a lot of stupid questions so hear goes are you stupid question 1 when she comes in do thay swell like a dog and bleed or how can you tell if she is in 2 is the bull old enough

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    He should be old enough, inexperienced maybe [​IMG] but he will def. know when she comes into her cycle.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:He's old enough...if she goes into heat he should be mounting her. They aren't like a dog....not really any swelling or bleeding that you'd notice. Often times our cows become much more vocal when they come into heat.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have a question for you....what does she look like? free martin's often have a certain look to them. Very high almost pinched hindquarters.

8. samandmike

Feb 5, 2009
    i dont know what you mean pinched but if i get it she is not narrow in the back she has high hip bones and just about as wide in the back as in the front

9. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Watch his nose.......It's very telling when she starts to come in. Quite the snarl!

I agree get her tested. And I am surprised your 18 mo old bull is not showing interest.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The bull is definitely old enough. We used a 13 month old Jersey bull to breed our milk cows this summer and he had no problems getting the job done.

I can't tell by looking at them whether they're in heat. They're not near as obvious as goats and dogs. I just pay attention to their behavior. If she's in heat, the bull will rarely leave her side and occasionally press his chin to her rump to see if she's ready for breeding. This will last for several hours or even a couple days. It could be that she went in heat and he bred her during the night.

Like the others said, if she's a twin of a bull, then there's a 90% chance of sterility. Normal heifer calves can be sterile too, but it's very rare.

We breed our heifers to calve at two years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by