how old does a cow have to be breedable

Quote:
Wouldn't that be an orifice visit?
tongue.png

AFAIK 12-15 months is the normal age to breed a dairy heifer.

Quote:
Her udder might not fill until immediately before or after calving, or it might several months before she calves. Generally heifers develop earlier than cows do.

They should already be breeding- the bull should have shown interest by the time he was 10 months or so- to show milk- it will take about a month before she is due- it did with a few of ours. Try separating them for a while- then put them back together and see what happens.

Jersey bulls have been known to be fertile at under a year of age. Likewise Jersey heifers.
All dairy heifers if they are grown properly, should be breeding age by 15 months. Jersey heifers should be of size and bred earlier. Often if you wait too long they turn cystic and you have serious trouble breeding them.
I'm not sure of the optimum breeding age of Guernseys but I would expect 13-15 months of age.
Heat cycles are usually every 18-21 days. Cattle usually bleed off AFTER ovulation. If she has blood on her, it's too late to breed. Gestation is the same as a human's... 40 weeks. Milk normally comes in only after calving in heifers. Figure on minimum 3 days milking to get past the colostrum stage.
Just curious... if these two have always been pastured together, are you certain she isn't bred and well along in gestation? it can be very hard to visually tell a pregnant cow until the last month. Sometimes you can tell at 7+ months by *bumping* the belly to feel for movement.

oh no if i take her out of the peen he goes nuts and wont shut up he stands there and moos till she goes back in there thats how i knew when she was getting out of the peen during the summer

Quote:
Wouldn't that be an orifice visit?
tongue.png

AFAIK 12-15 months is the normal age to breed a dairy heifer.

lol I suppose but I don't usually take my cows into vet unless absolutely needed and it was cheaper to take in to get this done so the one time I did that is what they charged and that is all I wanted done....sometimes they will charge the office visit and extra for other procedures and/or tests.

OP by the way my cows heifer that was sterile and bulls were mounting each other and my horse....
roll.png
and they were doing that since before 6 months old.

thay have been together all along so idont know trying to finde out how to tell still new to all this first cows just moved from the city and trying the small farming life so im new to all this and dont know what to do or if i have some one trying to get over on me becaus i dont know about this stuff

Are you able to post pics of her? We could maybe tell you if she's pregnant or not.

Last year we had an Angus bull calf in with our milk cows. He wasn't tall enough to breed the Holstein, but he did successfully breed the old Jersey when he was only ten months old. We have living proof of it, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom