How old does a pullet have to be to go broody?

sandie44

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
I have a pullet that just started laying last month. She was very irregular and just dropping eggs where ever she was at the time. My chickens are free range so I was constantly looking for her eggs. Then all of a sudden, she did not show up at night in the coop, was missing for two days then she showed up just to come up missing again. So I decided if she shows up again to watch her, sure enough she did show up. To my surprise Lacy has been sitting on a clutch of eggs! Now I'm not sure if I should move them or not. She has been sitting for a week now, but I worry because she is out in the open(woods), should I bring in the eggs and incubate or leave her alone? Oh, by the way tonight is suppose to get down to 34.Help! What should I do?

I had a Buff Orpington come into lay and go broody about two weeks later. I didn't think it was possible.

So I blocked off the nests and broke her of her broody ways. Two weeks later, she was broody again. So this time I let her go the distance and at 21 days tucked three chicks under her who are now two months old today. She's been an awesome mama.

Well, now she's acting weird again. She has a different hen house than the one where she brooded the last batch. So to show her where the GIANT nest is, I put her in it and put two plastic Easter Eggs in there for her. And she's sitting on them. She's not full on broody so I can't decide if she's going broody again or coming back into lay.

But I fear, I have a serial broody on my hands. But I don't mind. What an adorable experience watching a mama raise babies. I'd do it all over again just for the cuteness factor.

I have an EE who started laying - And I was delighted to see that she was laying pretty green eggs (Her mama laid light brown) - She laid for about two weeks, and went broody. Its been about 3wks or so now. I'm about tired of it and contemplating attempting to break her, if she doesn't relent soon. Heck, there's no roo in with her, and she doesn't even have any eggs to set on! LOL! Silly girl!

Well, I'm just letting her go through what nature intended, the 21 days and see what happens. I just left her out and made sure she has been eating and drinking. She has one week left. Luckily the weather will be pretty nice for another week. I only hope the dangers of being outside will stay away and she'll be safe. My husband shot at a coyote yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom