How old for the roosters first crow?

My EE rooster just tried to crow this morning when I opened the coop. He is 8 1/2 weeks. I knew he was a roo. He is black & white, but none of the telltale "red or brown" on the shoulders & wings yet. I really didn't want a rooster this time, so I have to decide what to do with him.

This is Melon :) Either a rooster or just well endowed LOL. I don't see any saddle feathers, but then again I am not doing this on a daily basis like most of you :) this is only my second batch of chicks and I don't get them straight run.

Sheeshshe, that looks like a pullet to me! Males with the barred pattern generally have two doses of the barred gene, whereas females only have one. That makes the bars on the male much more narrow. Your gal has nice thick barring :)

even with the super duper bumpy comb? LOL. the other one I have has the flat smooth comb with one point at the top, where this one has ALLLLLL those bumps everywhere like I see in the pictures for the roos. that is only what is concerning to me. SWEEEEET chicken and loves to be held:)

It kind of looks like a pullet to me too. But I've never had any Dominique roosters. Have you done a google image search for 'Dominique cockerel 13 weeks old'? Maybe you could get something else to compare it to.

My EE roo started crowing early. He was barely bigger than a pigeon and crowing at 6 weeks! My partridge rock roo was late to crow- around 20 weeks I think.

It kind of looks like a pullet to me too. But I've never had any Dominique roosters. Have you done a google image search for 'Dominique cockerel 13 weeks old'? Maybe you could get something else to compare it to.
My EE roo started crowing early. He was barely bigger than a pigeon and crowing at 6 weeks! My partridge rock roo was late to crow- around 20 weeks I think.
that is a good idea. I should do a search like that.

Ours is 18 weeks and just started.. not that loud yet.. at first it was funny.. not very good.. but now he has it down pat.. .. my husband says he starts at 6 am.. then he does it a few times during the day.. but thankfully he is not that loud so the neighbors dont complain..

anyone other opinions?

I couldn't find a dominique thread in the breeds forum.. you know, like how they have one for silkies etc?

13 weeks. I had 2 roos, had to re-home one. Funny thing is that both of them crowed for the first time the day after they were seperated. lol

Back
Top Bottom