How old for the roosters first crow?

This morning I heard one of my roos (I got them on Halloween at 2 days old) crowing yesterday. I'm pretty sure I know which one it was since there is one that got larger than the others a lot faster. I call him, "Big Daddy". He has already shown that he is ready to take the dog on if he by some chance got into the pen with him and the ladies. But isn't this a little early for him to be crowing?

My husband said our barred rock roo attempted to crow last week (7 weeks). I didn't believe it, but I heard him crow today! :rolleyes:

One of my Cuckoo Marans started crowing last week at 18 weeks and the other started today at 19 weeks. Today was also the day they found a new home :) ( aren't allowed here)

Our Light Sussex started at 10 weeks, the Black Copper Marans started also just after that and one of my Easter Eggers started right around 12 weeks!

This is Melon :) Either a rooster or just well endowed LOL. I don't see any saddle feathers, but then again I am not doing this on a daily basis like most of you :) this is only my second batch of chicks and I don't get them straight run.
I'd say he's a she!

My boys started at 7 weeks on up.
If boy chicks start crowing this early on then I probably only have 1 male out of 14 chicks in my big pen. I hear this weird noise out of one of my blue-gray 6 week olds. Sounds like crowing to me but since I'm not 100% sure I can't give it away until I know for sure.

Carla

My bantams seem to crow earlier than any large fowl rooster I've had. My silver Sebright cockerel crowed for the first time at 6 weeks, while my 3 other Sebright cockerels haven't even attempted to crow yet. My EE rooster crowed for the first time at 9 months at about 9:30 at night. It was pretty surprising since I thought I had all hens... And my BR rooster is 4 months and crowing.
I've also heard that sometimes if you have multiple roosters, the beta rooster won't crow to keep under the radar of the alpha. My sebrights are now 4 months and I haven't heard a crow out of the rest if the males so that could be the case. Or they haven't found their crow yet :p

Back
Top Bottom