How old for the roosters first crow?

bri the black Sex-link roo here didn't utter his first crow till he was 6 months old. I am guessing it was because the other roo would of beaten him up if he crowed in the run, so he waited until he was out foraging to turn and crow like ha ha you cant get me here!

I had crowing a lot this morning so I am convinced that one of my 6 wk old blue-gray EEers is a rooster. I am trying to find a home for it. If I can't, I'll have to put it in the freezer. It's plumage is so pretty though. :( So far it's the only one that's crowing but a 2nd blue-gray is showing a redder comb than the other chicks so I'm thinking 2 out of 3 blue-gray will be roosters while the third in this color is a crooked beak female that may have to get culled if her top beak gets worse. And I was so happy to get this color for blue eggs too. Sigh.

My bantams seem to crow earlier than any large fowl rooster I've had. My silver Sebright cockerel crowed for the first time at 6 weeks, while my 3 other Sebright cockerels haven't even attempted to crow yet. My EE rooster crowed for the first time at 9 months at about 9:30 at night. It was pretty surprising since I thought I had all hens... And my BR rooster is 4 months and crowing.
I've also heard that sometimes if you have multiple roosters, the beta rooster won't crow to keep under the radar of the alpha. My sebrights are now 4 months and I haven't heard a crow out of the rest if the males so that could be the case. Or they haven't found their crow yet :p
Mine are bantam EEer and one of my 14 has been crowing for a week and they are only 6 weeks old on Sunday. I got 3 blue-gray EEer (love the color) and it appears the only female in the bunch is the one with a crooked beak. Not sure on the other colors. None of them have the super red comb and make that definite crowing sound I've been hearing.

Carla

We just heard our first crow from one of our 10 week old silkies a few days ago. still pretty quiet though. Can anyone tell me how long untill its full volume.

That's early for a silkie. It is sometimes difficult to sex them at this age. I have 3 silkie cockerel s at 5 months of age that haven't crowed yet. They usually don't hit full volume till 12 months, but being as yours is an early bloomer I'm guessing that too will be early.

My 14 week old silkie has been crowing for about a week. I distract him in the morning with some scraps.

Unfortunatlly, we can't have a rooster. I'm in a suburban area and dont want to give my neighbors any reason to complain. We got 2 silkies right away just in case. But still fell in love with "Lucy Dude". Hopefully, I have a little time to find a new home for him before he gets too loud.

My Spangled Hamburg is 6 months old and i have not heard as much as a squeek from him. I think he is hen pecked
1f609.png

I have had my eye on this barred Rock for a while now. She was much larger than her other siblings. Her crow and wattle is very red compared to her sister. And this morning I heard something like a Loud Hoarse bark from her.... SO is she a He? She is only 10 weeks old. Do they crow that early?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom