How old is my black copper maran pullet?

Oh no! I am sorry, I must have sounded dumb, but I am just repeating what his seller told me. I have had horrible luck with cockrels, I noticed the slim feathers and hoped I had a weird looking pullet, I know I am wrong now. We can't have boys, will keep him until he starts to crow. I also noticed the comment about a blue maran, she was said to be a black copper, but has gotten less black and more... grey? I have already mentioned I am the owner of a tiny little flock, got first chickens ever in the spring, and am believing everything I hear from more experienced poultry owners.

Your cockerel is a mix of something. However, he will become a very handsome bird. The blues are born with bluish fuzz.

Oh no! I am sorry, I must have sounded dumb, but I am just repeating what his seller told me. I have had horrible luck with cockrels, I noticed the slim feathers and hoped I had a weird looking pullet, I know I am wrong now. We can't have boys, will keep him until he starts to crow. I also noticed the comment about a blue maran, she was said to be a black copper, but has gotten less black and more... grey? I have already mentioned I am the owner of a tiny little flock, got first chickens ever in the spring, and am believing everything I hear from more experienced poultry owners.
Don't worry, everyone makes mistakes. It does make me upset when people claim a different sex than the chicken is.

You don't sound dumb at all! :confused: Just inexperienced. We all start our journey somewhere. ;) And many of us have been mislead about breed or gender in our early days. Oh boy, I paid $20 each for straight run (NOT Swedish Flower) barn yard mix chicks. :mad:

I would start looking for his new home now since you already know he can't stay. In case it takes a few weeks once he does start crowing. Better not to have mad neighbors. :)

Your cockerel is a mix of something. However, he will become a very handsome bird. The blues are born with bluish fuzz.
she did not have any blue fuzz when she was young. In fact, she was blacker (is that a word?) when we got her then she is now. Here are some pictures at 2 months, they are the earliest pictures I have of her. Isn't she adorable?
IMG_20170820_0837573_rewind.jpg
IMG_20170820_0836200_rewind_kindlephoto-365773785.jpg
IMG_20170820_0836165_rewind.jpg

We got rid of him last night. I am furious. We always go to a little poultry swap in a parking lot to get chickens. We also got chicks this spring. 1 died (of natural causes, was acting strangely a few weeks after we got him, died in his sleep) and out of the remaining 7, 5 were boys. I think this poultry swap is just a way to give beginners like me all their spare cockrels.

We got rid of him last night. I am furious. We always go to a little poultry swap in a parking lot to get chickens. We also got chicks this spring. 1 died (of natural causes, was acting strangely a few weeks after we got him, died in his sleep) and out of the remaining 7, 5 were boys. I think this poultry swap is just a way to give beginners like me all their spare cockrels.
That's one possibility. :mad:

But If they are younger than 4 weeks I can't tell, and 8 weeks for some breeds. I will say that so far I seem to excel at hatching boys and seem to end up with about 75%. :barnie

So if you did get them young and straight run, then it may NOT have been intentional. :confused:

I don't do poultry swaps. Not enough quarantine and such to protect the rest of my flock from whatever might show up at the swap.

Back
Top Bottom