How old is my black copper maran pullet?

MidnightMaran

Songster
Jun 23, 2017
Oklahoma
I have a BCM pullet, (it is NOT a cockrel, does not crow or show any signs of crowing) but I only know that I got her about two months ago, the person selling her told me every chicken in the coop she was in was 4-6 weeks old. She was one of the smaller ones, compared to other marans and black australorp, but in these two months I found out she is definitely a black copper maran, not a black maran, and she has matured a lot (by my thinking, I am completely new to chickens, we have a tiny flock of four hens in our backyard). She does not lay, and I want to know when I should expect eggs. I will get closer photos, she is super speedy and afraid of the camera
IMG_20171019_0857052_rewind.jpg
IMG_20171019_0856557_rewind.jpg
IMG_20171019_0856416_rewind.jpg

I have a BCM pullet, (it is NOT a cockrel, does not crow or show any signs of crowing) but I only know that I got her about two months ago, the person selling her told me every chicken in the coop she was in was 4-6 weeks old. She was one of the smaller ones, compared to other marans and black australorp, but in these two months I found out she is definitely a black copper maran, not a black maran, and she has matured a lot (by my thinking, I am completely new to chickens, we have a tiny flock of four hens in our backyard). She does not lay, and I want to know when I should expect eggs. I will get closer photos, she is super speedy and afraid of the camera View attachment 1164128 View attachment 1164129 View attachment 1164130
This is 100% a cockerel. a BCM Pullet would not have such a red face or large comb like that. You can also tell because of the hackle and neck feathers. Hens wouldn't have pointed feathers like that they'd be round. And just because he isn't mating or crowing (Yet) doesn't mean He is a pullet. Sorry to say. But that is a rooster.

Last edited:
Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Wish I could disagree with the other posters... but alas, I also say male. And according to your own calculations, 12-16 weeks old.

That color in the neck is more like straw than copper. And I can't tell for sure but the eyes look dark instead of orange. So I would go with either possible mix, or PET quality cockerel. Still pretty though. :love

Maybe pictures will help. On the left is a mature Black Copper Marans hen (molting) and on the right is a Blue Copper Maran Rooster. The hen is black but the camera attempted to automatically correct the white balance due to the brilliant sunlight.

P1250500.JPG

Here is a photo of a mature Black Copper Marans rooster and one nosy peacock who can't stand it if I'm not taking picture of him.
P1250598.JPG

One more thing, notice the "hen bump" on your Buff? Verses the saddle feathers on you boy lay flat and the tail pops out from the base instead of looking like it starts between the wing.

So you actually have a tiny little flock of 3 pullets and 1 cockerel. So from that Marans, you should NOT expect eggs EVER. :(

Oh no! I am sorry, I must have sounded dumb, but I am just repeating what his seller told me. I have had horrible luck with cockrels, I noticed the slim feathers and hoped I had a weird looking pullet, I know I am wrong now. We can't have boys, will keep him until he starts to crow. I also noticed the comment about a blue maran, she was said to be a black copper, but has gotten less black and more... grey? I have already mentioned I am the owner of a tiny little flock, got first chickens ever in the spring, and am believing everything I hear from more experienced poultry owners.
You don't sound dumb at all! :confused: Just inexperienced. We all start our journey somewhere. ;) And many of us have been mislead about breed or gender in our early days. Oh boy, I paid $20 each for straight run (NOT Swedish Flower) barn yard mix chicks. :mad:

I would start looking for his new home now since you already know he can't stay. In case it takes a few weeks once he does start crowing. Better not to have mad neighbors. :)

Back
Top Bottom