How old is old?

You know I think it’s a combination of factors. Gene’s to be one. But more so than that it’s the care and feed they receive. I’ve only had 3 cats my entire life. Each lived into their 20’s. The oldest lived almost 26. I wish I would of kept some type of documentation on her but it didn’t (all indoor cats).
You can start with the very best in genetics but if you don’t have the best in care and environment it won’t matter.
Your doin something right PaPa Rod....:thumbsup

Wow! 26 years old? That's the oldest I've ever heard of! You must've done something right, too :)

Yes, I do believe that proper care plays one of the biggest parts. I've seen it so many times around here before. One friend of ours (who also keeps chickens) is one of the best chicken keepers I know. His chickens live long, happy lives and he gets lots of eggs.
On the other hand... another good friend of ours did not take care of his chickens. He kept them stacked in wire cages 24/7. What little eggs he did get were so tiny they looked like banty eggs (even though they were standard sized chickens) and they were missing most of their feathers.
He finally rehomed them to someone who could take of them, it just goes to show what proper care can do for a chicken.

Somewhere here on BYC was a simple little thread about a woman who had a bird...I think a Rhode Island Red...that would perch on the hitching post --was it 16 years?-- while she tacked up her horse each day. I mean think of that. A little friend waiting for the horse's missed grains chatting up her human everyday for 16 years. The bird was probably not top priority at the farm but her presence made for everyday routine for those years and the author noted her 'clock' running out and how she was missed and made a lovely post on here. I've tried to search it out. It was early on in my BYC years that I saw it and learned and was amazed how long chickens can live.

I'll have to search for that, let me know if you find it, please! :)

I had a rooster that lived until he was 5 and he caught some sort of disease and died about a week later:hit
But yes I do absolutely think 11 is old for a chickens
Good job :ya you must be doing something right:frow

I'm sorry about your rooster :hugs

Thank you so much!

We have 2 silkies we bought as roughly 2 year olds...that was back in summer of 2012.
They have respiratory symptoms and are as cranky and broody as all get out but I hope they'll live a few more good years :)

Back
Top Bottom