How old is too old for chickens

GoinCountry

Chirping
May 11, 2022
A local farm sells red sexlink chickens 18 months old. From what I've read, this is molting age. they ALWAYS sell their 18 month old chickens. why should I buy these that will molt for 3 months with no eggs instead of raising chicks in the spring or buying layers in the spring?

So you don't have to raise chicks? Sexlinks and egg factory birds tend to slow down after their first 18 months, but rarely stop laying all together.

My first birds to ever fully stop laying stopped in mid April this year. They're Spanish bantams and are 10 years now. I recently lost one to old age, but the other one and her Beau are the same age and still acting like they're only 7 or 8.

Not saying it is not to their advantage to keep younger hens, but I think it also has some advantages for the buyers.

1. No need to set up brooder, alternative housing, etc. for young chicks
2. Chicks can die off unpredictability while getting their first disease exposures, so you won't likely see them all reach adulthood. Not the case with adults
3. Pullets first coming into lay are likely to have oops eggs, like softshells, and possibly more reproductive/egg tract issues in general vs. hens with a full season complete
4. No sexing confusion, you can easily tell grown hens from grown roosters in the majority of breeds
5. They may not lay as much, but still have a good year or two ahead
6. Culling will earn you a grown bird to eat right away, if it comes up

So you don't have to raise chicks? Sexlinks and egg factory birds tend to slow down after their first 18 months, but rarely stop laying all together.

My first birds to ever fully stop laying stopped in mid April this year. They're Spanish bantams and are 10 years now. I recently lost one to old age, but the other one and her Beau are the same age and still acting like they're only 7 or 8.
thanks. THAT is why. SUPEr glad I asked and you answered

Not saying it is not to their advantage to keep younger hens, but I think it also has some advantages for the buyers.

1. No need to set up brooder, alternative housing, etc. for young chicks
2. Chicks can die off unpredictability while getting their first disease exposures, so you won't likely see them all reach adulthood. Not the case with adults
3. Pullets first coming into lay are likely to have oops eggs, like softshells, and possibly more reproductive/egg tract issues in general vs. hens with a full season complete
4. No sexing confusion, you can easily tell grown hens from grown roosters in the majority of breeds
5. They may not lay as much, but still have a good year or two ahead
6. Culling will earn you a grown bird to eat right away, if it comes up
good points, thanks!

Well buying chicks will need to be fed for months before getting eggs.

Really depending on price, buying an 18 month old bird, might fit someones needs very well. It just depends on your situation, and your hobby. There really isn't a way that works for everyone.
but apparently molting chickens molt for 3 months and have to be fed a high protein $$$ food.

A local farm sells red sexlink chickens 18 months old. From what I've read, this is molting age. they ALWAYS sell their 18 month old chickens. why should I buy these that will molt for 3 months with no eggs instead of raising chicks in the spring or buying layers in the spring?

I am also selling some of my senior hens. It's to my advantage to sell them and replace them with younger birds. I'm being honest about the birds' age and the fact that they are likely to molt.

My buyers have different reasons. Some want a mixed age flock -- adding adult hens to a flock of young pullets. Some want to be absolutely sure they get hens only and not rooster. Some don't want to raise chicks. Some want the breeds I have available and don't care about the age.

People have their reasons to buy or to not buy. As long as the seller is honest about the birds' age no one is taking advantage of anyone. :)

but apparently molting chickens molt for 3 months and have to be fed a high protein $$$ food.
I fed mine the regular layer every day for their whole lives until quite recently.
Also the 3 months isn't set in stone, some do a hard molt and drop production, some do a soft molt and just slow down

Back
Top Bottom