HOW OLD IS YOUR OLDEST CHICKEN AND HOW MANY EGGS DO YOU STILL GET

Any hen older than Clauds 9 year old hen?

I would not mind any odd shaped eggs or no eggs at all. Most important healthy and happy chickens.........

Laying or just living? Quite a few of my girls lived over ten years...but they were retired before nine.
smile.png
I'm just happy they live a long time...they are still warm and fluffy!

Egg production peaks at around two years, but a lot of birds will continue to lay on a consistent basis.

About 1/3 of my flock are 5 & 6 years old. None quit laying completely. They just lay less often.

Because a hen produces so many eggs in her lifetime, it is not uncommon for one to develop a "female problem" that completely shuts down her egg laying ability. It is also common for some hens to develop ovarian cancer.

So I guess, my girls are just laying less to nothing, because they are molting right now and they are not too old with 16 mo yet. However they are pets first, egg laying is a nice bonus.........

Quote:
Wow, good thing I don't have my birds for the eggs. My 2 yr. old hen only lays one egg every two days!! Then she wants to go broody after she lays 6 or 7.

I have 9 girls that are 7 yrs old. I get no egg's from them, but that is okay. They were good to me so they deserve their senior yrs. I will have them until they die of natural causes.

I got Peter and Eggatha 6 1/2 years ago, but they were already adults. They are probably 8 or 9 years old. Eggatha doesn't lay much in the winter. In the spring she starts with a bunch of shell less eggs. In the summer I get an egg about every other day from her until she goes broody. Peter and Eggatha's daughter is about 6 years old and she lays about every 2 - 3 days in the summer until she goes broody.

Back
Top Bottom