How old must I be to buy chicks from TSC?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by muscovy94, Mar 3, 2012.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    My TSC got in some turken chicks and Im thinking of going there today and getting a few.

**edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I don't really think they care as long as you can show them the money!

3. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Haha ok good! thanks! Is there usually a minimum number you have to buy? Im only wanting to get like 3 but I've heard some places make you get atleast 6. Is this true?

Sorry for all the questions. This is the first year that my town has had a tsc and im excited!

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    A 17 year old should have no problems buying chicks. I don't have a TSC where I live(I don't think, at least) but there's a chain called Coastal that is pretty similar I'm thinking. Every time I bought chicks from them they just kind of give you a quick list of questions to make sure you can properly care for the birds.

There normally isn't a limit on how many you can buy unless it's a specified breed or something. You should check your town ordinances because they can sometimes restrict you to 3 or 4 chickens and no roosters. If you don't live in the city you can have as many as you want just about.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You could always phone them and ask about minimum number requirements. I can't tell if it is store policy or local law, but I do keep hearing about stores that won't sell fewer than 6 at a time. However, not all stores do it, and it appears to be vaguely in the Mid West part of the country.

Also, I have heard of stores waiving what requirement if the buyer already has poultry.

6. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    State law in NY 6 chicks, supose to stop People that want 1 or 2 for Easter.

7. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    In Columbia ,South Carolina city limits you can have 4 hens , no roosters. And all the TSC around here minimun. is 6. I agree, buying one or two is not a good thing for easter . Most poeple don't take care of the little chicks the right way.

8. psyche-chick

psyche-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight County, VA
    The TSC in my area has a 6 chick minimum purchase. If you want to buy fewer, check with some local breeders.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    6 chick minimum in my part of NJ.

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I think it may be state law, but also depends upon whether the store is aware if you have poultry or not. I wonder if the local TSC is going to worry if you are buying large bags of poultry feed all the time and want a few different breed chicks. The 6-minimum is more to discourage the impulse buyer of a child's pet.
    I picked up two RIRs the other year at our local feed /hardware store. They were close in age to those in my brooder and I didn't have any of that breed. No problem-- but then they know me.
    If you are 17, you may be looking for employment soon. Doesn't hurt to mention that you know about chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by