How old was the oldest eggs you ever hatched out??

I don't know if this helps but I'm giving my first shot at incubation. I was given 9 fresh eggs from my fiances parents and an additional two dozen for eating that have been in the fridge for over ten days. I thought what the heck? And threw 7 of the fridge eggs in with my fresh eggs. 12 days into it and ALL the eggs are developing fast!

Will await news of your progress. Do you know how old the fridge eggs were before they went in the fridge.

They were between 1 to two weeks in the fridge. I marked them so i knew which are fresh and which was from the fridge. I will let you know how they hatch out! Storing the eggs in a cool spot is better than warm.

Of course the fresher the better, I've also heard people having a decent hatch rate from eggs that were stored for 3 to 4 weeks

Last edited:
Of course the fresher the better, I've also heard people having a decent hatch rate from eggs that were stored for 3 to 4 weeks

Hi, i was wondering how old they were before they went in the fridge or before you got them. Have a look at my earlier posts. I recently hatched 7 from 11 one month old eggs, under my favourite hen, that I got from a fellow who regularly stores his eggs for sale and his own incubation, in the fridge for up to a month.

Also did you let the eggs come up to room temperature before putting them in the incubator.

The oldest I've now heard is six weeks in a post just above. It's interesting how tough yet fragile they are. It will be interested to compare your success rate against your fresh lot.

They were from my fiance's parents house 2 hours north of here, so I am assuming they went straight from the nest box to the fridge. But they get so many eggs a day (between 10-15) that they cannot keep up with eating them. So they usually give us the oldest ones (which are usually 1-2 weeks at that point). I marked my eggs with an A and B for turning purposes, on the ones that were from the fridge I used lower case a and b. As of today ALL of the eggs in that incubator are developing strong! I can see them moving about in there when I candle. One of the eggs that was in the fridge is a call duck, it too is doing great as far as development goes. 9 days until the hatch, so we will see the outcome soon
big_smile.png

This is my first time incubating, so I put quite a few in thinking they wouldn't all develop (especially the fridge eggs). I see myself overwhelmed with chickies soon! I also ordered Saxony duck eggs from ebay. They are only 7 days into incubation and looks like they too are developing. Its hatching day I am worried for, and excited.
My incubator count is as follows....
Chickens from fridge - 6
Fresh chickens - 9
Call duck from fridge - 1
Saxony duck eggs - 10

Total - 26 eggs going in two different incubators!

They were from my fiance's parents house 2 hours north of here, so I am assuming they went straight from the nest box to the fridge. But they get so many eggs a day (between 10-15) that they cannot keep up with eating them. So they usually give us the oldest ones (which are usually 1-2 weeks at that point). I marked my eggs with an A and B for turning purposes, on the ones that were from the fridge I used lower case a and b. As of today ALL of the eggs in that incubator are developing strong! I can see them moving about in there when I candle. One of the eggs that was in the fridge is a call duck, it too is doing great as far as development goes. 9 days until the hatch, so we will see the outcome soon
big_smile.png
This is my first time incubating, so I put quite a few in thinking they wouldn't all develop (especially the fridge eggs). I see myself overwhelmed with chickies soon! I also ordered Saxony duck eggs from ebay. They are only 7 days into incubation and looks like they too are developing. Its hatching day I am worried for, and excited. My incubator count is as follows.... Chickens from fridge - 6 Fresh chickens - 9 Call duck from fridge - 1 Saxony duck eggs - 10 Total - 26 eggs going in two different incubators!
That's keen. Good luck, I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Ok. So i tossed two saxony eggs. One was infertile and the other had a blood ring. But don't worry, i show up at work and someone hands me two Guinea eggs they want me to try. Sure, why not.

Set three eggs that were 24 days old because of lack of space for them in the bator,

DAY 5: one egg is infertile so didnt develop the other two are doing well.

DAY 14: one egg stopped developing around day 5-8, so it got thrown out.

DAY 18: the one remaining egg is gone into lockdown, saw movement, should hopefully hatch in the next two days :) .

Podid it hatch?

Ya the last one hatched, was upside down and needed a bit of help but is doing perfect now. :)

Back
Top Bottom