How old was your hen when she laid her 1st egg?

reed of hen- Golden Comet

Age in weeks when she laid- 16 weeks. She has laid one egg a day so far.

If you have more than one of that breed, did they all start laying around the same time?- No. None of the rest have started laying yet. Their ages now are 17 weeks. We have half a dozen RIR's the same age and they haven't produced eggs yet either.

Color of egg- Brown

Size of egg- Size of a small grocery store egg

Quote:
A California White is a cross between a Leghorn and a California Gray. It is white with small black feathers that make it look polka-dotted. I couldn't resist getting my "practice chicks" before I got the big bunch of BO's.
wink.png

Okay, I guess this leads to "What is a California Gray?"

California Gray
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The California Gray is a breed of chicken developed in the U.S. state of California in the 1930s by James Dryden, a professor of poultry science at Oregon Agricultural College, now Oregon State University. The objective of the breed's creator was to produce a dual–purpose chicken that was suitable for meat production and laid large white eggs. By crossing Barred Plymouth Rocks and White Leghorns, a naturally autosexing breed with gray barred plumage (as adults) was produced. Largely because the breed was never recognized officially for exhibition by the American Poultry Association, California Grays are a rare breed in the 21st century. They were later used to develop the California White, a commercial hybrid.

[edit] References
Ekarius, Carol (2007). Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds. 210 MAS MoCA Way, North Adams MA 01247: Storey Publishing. ISBN 978-1-58017-667-5.

Sorry, I don't know how to post just the link.
hmm.png

Blue Cochin- 18 weeks small eggs for the first couple weeks, gradually making it to medium. She lays four days in a row and then takes a day or two off.

black australorps- 18-21 weeks (three birds, one at 18 weeks, one at 21 and the other just a day before 22 weeks) Started at medium, and now lay large/ extra large eggs about one egg a day on average, although in turn they all day a day or two off every week or two.

Easter Egger's- 22 weeks. My bearded pullet laid before my plain ugly one. They lay ginormous eggs for some reason, the ugly pullet in particular. And she also tends to lay two eggs at a time on occasion. Generally once a day although they are my most intermittent layers, taking time off without any real schedule or routine.

I have an 18 week old Light Brahma that hasnt started laying yet, but she's been testing out the nesting boxes fairly regularly so we're not far.

I have a black harco hen that just started laying. I'm sure she was only about 16 weeks. I was really surprised but she developed a large comb much faster than the others. I have another harco about a week younger but she doesn't look like she going to lay soon

Back
Top Bottom