1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how old??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mike kirby, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mike kirby

mike kirby Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2007
    how old do your chickens have to be before they show signs of being male or female!!!
    nd what should i be lookin out for??

thanx mike

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    about 6 weeks

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It varies between breeds. 6 weeks is good for most. I can sex leghorns based on combs at 3 weeks but for the life of me, not figure out silkies till about 2 months! And that is often just a guess....

4. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    my friend just bought a male with her order, and in my opinion you can tell, at a profile he has a bigger comb than all of the pullets hes apx 4 days

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, single comb varieties are very easy to tell... but at 4 days... especially if you have only a few birds or different types, it could be a hen still. Or some of those small combed girls can be guys that are late bloomers. A Leghorn pullet as a day old chick will have a visible comb while a silkie roo or other walnut/ pea/rose comb bird at the same age, will have just a flat spot on their heads or a tiny bump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by