How protective are you?

Quote:
Im not sudgesting that you do this at all.

My inlaws came over for a BBQ and brought their two small dogs. Well their dog JoJo decided that my favorite hen looked good as a meal. He chased her all over my 6 acres, with me and my DH chasing after him. I was screaming that I was gonna kill that ****ing dog. JoJo finally caught my hen, and was ripping feathers out, "tore all her feathers out from her crop to her vent." I got to the dog LONG before my DH did, grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, and proceded to smack him on his butt. I was very tempted to just snap his neck then and there. "It would have been so easy to do." But my husband finally reached me, the dog, and my poor hen, and talked me out of killing his parents dog in front of them. This all took place in a matter of about 1 minute... The dog was locked into a crate, and I told my inlaws that if it ever happens again I WILL shoot the dog. I do not give second chances, and am not afraid of upsetting my inlaws. This happened two months ago, my hen is starting to get her feathers back, and my inlaws have yet to talk to me. And personally I dont mind.

But again, I dont sudgest that ANYONE grab onto a dog that is on the hunt. I was lucky that I was not bitten, and so is the dog.

As for predators, wether dog, cat, coyote, or what have you, if they are around my coop, or messing with my hens, they get shot. All of my neighbors have been warned, and they all agree. We havn't had any problems besides my inlaws dog, and the eagle that took off with my rooster.

Last edited:
Duuuuuude, if I were your in-laws, I would have been MORTIFIED that my dog tried to kill your chicken! I might've made you a pinata in the shape of my dog, and boarded the dog for the rest of the trip!

As for over here ... I've kept pet corn snakes for many years. But one day, I went outside to find a wild corn snake in the act of attacking my son's pet cockerel! Like, coils and everything! It was an epic battle, me and that snake, as I tried to get a good hold on him and he struck at me while trying to get into the thick undergrowth. I finally flipped him onto the patio and broke his back with a hoe. I normally don't kill a predator of rodents, especially corn snakes, which I really like. But you mess with my chickens, man, you are DEAD!

The cockerel, btw, was just fine.

Quote:
Nah, my mother in law thought it was cute that her dog was chasing a chicken... She is one of those people who think that they are JUST CHICKENS... She laughed at this until I reminded her that I kept her from putting her unfixed dog, JoJo in with my hormonal Rot mix... My dog Kona would have torn him to shredds if he would have been put into "her" yard. I also explained to her that just like her dogs are her pets the chickens are my familys pets. She still didnt get it. She understood when I showed her the gun and bullet that I would shoot him with if it ever happens again.

But no, she showed no remorse, I recieved no appology. I dont doubt that I will never get an appology from her, she is VERY self centered and self serving as well. Hopefully my inlaws just wont bring the dogs over anymore, or at the very least train them...

Grrr... Stupid women.

Quote:
Make that "a lot". There is a reason snipers don't use pistols.

LOL true that.
smile.png
I realized after I hit "enter" that they're also more quiet. I had used a .22 pistol on our first recent possum here and it was ridiculously loud at 3 a.m. in the morning. The next time I just got my rifle and was much happier with how little it disturbed the flock. Exact same ammo, .22 LR.

Last edited:
I need a gun ... We've got possums, raccoons and a gray fox. I'd feel bad shooting the fox, since he's gorgeous, but he got ahold of my Australorp once and it's not happening again. Man, that was another great battle, there were feathers all over the yard ... She is fine now, after a lengthy recovery. What kind of gun could I possibly use in the suburbs though?

Quote:
Well you should try to live trap him. Then in the case of the fox, you could have a wildlife person relocate him. And you could just dispatch the others.

If it were only possums, the .22 rifle (pointed at one on the ground, not up, not sideways) can work and is relatively quiet. The raccoons are trickier - probably a shotgun as they travel less far, but the noise....

Sounds like a live trap, to me.

Quote:
Im not sudgesting that you do this at all.

My inlaws came over for a BBQ and brought their two small dogs. Well their dog JoJo decided that my favorite hen looked good as a meal. He chased her all over my 6 acres, with me and my DH chasing after him. I was screaming that I was gonna kill that ****ing dog. JoJo finally caught my hen, and was ripping feathers out, "tore all her feathers out from her crop to her vent." I got to the dog LONG before my DH did, grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, and proceded to smack him on his butt. I was very tempted to just snap his neck then and there. "It would have been so easy to do." But my husband finally reached me, the dog, and my poor hen, and talked me out of killing his parents dog in front of them. This all took place in a matter of about 1 minute... The dog was locked into a crate, and I told my inlaws that if it ever happens again I WILL shoot the dog. I do not give second chances, and am not afraid of upsetting my inlaws. This happened two months ago, my hen is starting to get her feathers back, and my inlaws have yet to talk to me. And personally I dont mind.

But again, I dont sudgest that ANYONE grab onto a dog that is on the hunt. I was lucky that I was not bitten, and so is the dog.

As for predators, wether dog, cat, coyote, or what have you, if they are around my coop, or messing with my hens, they get shot. All of my neighbors have been warned, and they all agree. We havn't had any problems besides my inlaws dog, and the eagle that took off with my rooster.

I can't imagine how angry I would be!!! That's one lucky dog!!!! Sorry your inlaws are like this.

Quote:
Well you should try to live trap him. Then in the case of the fox, you could have a wildlife person relocate him. And you could just dispatch the others.

If it were only possums, the .22 rifle (pointed at one on the ground, not up, not sideways) can work and is relatively quiet. The raccoons are trickier - probably a shotgun as they travel less far, but the noise....

Sounds like a live trap, to me.

My live trap has really come in handy. We bought a big one, raccoon size, because we actually had a raccoon here (not a natural species around here) and we didn't want to kill him. He wasn't doing anything except eating the cat and dog food, but we didn't want that headache!!! Today we released a cat that was beating up my neutered cat- he was too tricky to shoot, so we set the live trap, and got him last night-YAY!!! No more beat up kitty!!! We took him far away to an old barn, should have no problem finding mice.

About a week ago my chickens were out in the yard just while i cleaned the coop and my dog had to come out to go to the bathroom so he was on his leash somehow he had twisted his head perfectly to where he pulled his head right out. He took off towards one of my chickens but i was in between him and her i dived right into my dog at full speed, knocked him off his feet and pinned him to the the ground (my dog is a fifty pound german shephard) while he was pinned the chicken walked up and pecked his tail
tongue.png

Me + Peeps :

About a week ago my chickens were out in the yard just while i cleaned the coop and my dog had to come out to go to the bathroom so he was on his leash somehow he had twisted his head perfectly to where he pulled his head right out. He took off towards one of my chickens but i was in between him and her i dived right into my dog at full speed, knocked him off his feet and pinned him to the the ground (my dog is a fifty pound german shephard) while he was pinned the chicken walked up and pecked his tail
tongue.png

LOL. Go chicken!!​

Back
Top Bottom