How reliable a gender indicator is redness of peacomb in Easter Eggers?

Here it goes... just took these pics... hoping for the best :)
Does the comb have one small row down the middle, or three rows? It’s not 100%, but the cocks usually have the three rows and the hens a single row. At only 8 weeks, most hen pea combs don’t look like much of anything, just a little, nearly smooth, pale flesh. As for the crowing, it varies with different roos, but they are usually too loud for most close neighbors... Do you have city or neighborhood codes about roosters?

Does the comb have one small row down the middle, or three rows? It’s not 100%, but the cocks usually have the three rows and the hens a single row. At only 8 weeks, most hen pea combs don’t look like much of anything, just a little, nearly smooth, pale flesh. As for the crowing, it varies with different roos, but they are usually too loud for most close neighbors... Do you have city or neighborhood codes about roosters?

No regs that disallow roosters but would like to be nice to my neighbors as well as not draw unwanted attention to the chickens.

When I look at it, it 'kind of looks' like only one row, but not sure if I notice a row on the side,,, it isn't obvious if it is?

No regs that disallow roosters but would like to be nice to my neighbors as well as not draw unwanted attention to the chickens.

When I look at it, it 'kind of looks' like only one row, but not sure if I notice a row on the side,,, it isn't obvious if it is?
Kinda like the days when other drivers watch me take my chickens for a drive in the country? they like that, kinda like dogs do!

Maybe a closeup of the comb?
Other potential male features to look for:
  • Pullets tend to have a fairly even feather pattern while young cockerels are patchy
  • The sort of mahogany red patches starting to show on the wing bows. I'm not sure I see that in the picture
  • feathers tend to be pointed rather than rounded

Back
Top Bottom