How reliable a gender indicator is redness of peacomb in Easter Eggers?

If you have small kids in the family, be aware that, if your bird in question is a cockerel, he may get feisty as he matures, showing aggression towards a small child he may see as a threat. Possibly to you, as well.
I don't think anyone on this forum would advise you to keep an aggressive rooster if you have little ones that could be attacked.
So there are a lot of things to be considered if it turns out to be male.

The photo isn't very clear, but I do think it's a boy. If you can have roosters, and if he's polite to people, consider keeping him. Or, move him on sooner rather than later.
Try more pictures tomorrow!
Mary
If you have small kids in the family, be aware that, if your bird in question is a cockerel, he may get feisty as he matures, showing aggression towards a small child he may see as a threat. Possibly to you, as well.
I don't think anyone on this forum would advise you to keep an aggressive rooster if you have little ones that could be attacked.
So there are a lot of things to be considered if it turns out to be male.

No small kids, but ugh, the complications (having never had a rooster) was what I was concerned about. Thanks for your feedback!

No regs that disallow roosters but would like to be nice to my neighbors as well as not draw unwanted attention to the chickens.

When I look at it, it 'kind of looks' like only one row, but not sure if I notice a row on the side,,, it isn't obvious if it is?
It sounds like most feel it’s a cockerel, but I just couldn’t tell for sure from your pics... I found a few pics for you. The all black bird is a 2 mo Ameraucana cockerel - you can see the three rows very well in the close up. I included a full body shot of the Ameraucana cockerel that looks very male to me, with the big legs and confident stance, plus you can see the three rowed comb. The other pic of the black and red bird is a 2 mo Easter egger pullet. This picture didn’t focus on her comb, but if you blow it up, you can tell that there’s just not much to see in her comb region; it’s almost smooth or a little rippled. Just for fun, I included a pic of an adult EE roo (red) and Ameraucana roo (black) so you can see how the EE has an intermediate comb that will be bigger than the Ameraucana true pea comb. I think that this makes the EE easier to sex at an earlier age as single combed roos show their size and color early.

Attachments

• A9B45710-6BE2-4859-AF30-CD38B3B2EEB5.jpeg
    A9B45710-6BE2-4859-AF30-CD38B3B2EEB5.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 32
  • F58C2F7C-B784-42F5-9D51-F86B01FCCE9B.jpeg
    F58C2F7C-B784-42F5-9D51-F86B01FCCE9B.jpeg
    921.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 0D4B46BF-0E0A-4615-BF01-87E779548EBE.jpeg
    0D4B46BF-0E0A-4615-BF01-87E779548EBE.jpeg
    952.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 82C24394-CAD5-4A07-AC8B-CD1BF2F5B843.jpeg
    82C24394-CAD5-4A07-AC8B-CD1BF2F5B843.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 30
Do you have a picture of any of the other same-age birds for comparison?

I think relative size/redness of comb is more informative than counting rows of bumps. Yes, I think this chick has three rows of bumps--but I've seen hens that do too, so I don't personally find it a useful detail to focus on.

Do you have a picture of any of the other same-age birds for comparison?

I think relative size/redness of comb is more informative than counting rows of bumps. Yes, I think this chick has three rows of bumps--but I've seen hens that do too, so I don't personally find it a useful detail to focus on.
Well two of the four 8 week olds have feathering that is all white and they have no hint of red or even pink in the peacomb. The third is kind of black and has some red in the peacomb, but not as red as the fourth.

The fourth (the chick I had the question about originally),. Has a much redder peacomb.

I have read that by 3 months one can absolutely confirm the gender of the chicks because of the feathering towards the tail? Is that correct for Easter eggers too? The reason I ask is that if I have to give away a chick (because it is male) I'd like to be as close to 100% as is possible that I was actually giving away a Cockerel and not a pullet. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I have read that by 3 months one can absolutely confirm the gender of the chicks because of the feathering towards the tail? Is that correct for Easter eggers too?
Yes, but it can be more like 4+ months for any breed. Both the saddle feathers(grown out in front of tail) and hackle feathers(around neck) will be pointed and shiny on males. They are often crowing by that time.
Best bet is color of comb/wattles around 5-8 weeks, IMO.

Cockerel. He's handsome too!
Sorry,
Mary
I noticed that some of the others we have replied to my post mentioned something about red in the feathering.
One of my other chicks is kind of black with some other color accents. It's peacomb isn't as red as the first one I posted a picture of, but there is some. The remaining two chicks are all white and have no pink or red color at all.
Btw, here's a picture of the one I was just mentioning
IMG_20200101_155215428~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom