How reliable are automatic coop doors?

Pics
I have been using the Run Chicken T-50 and I absolutely love it. It runs off 2 AA batteries and last a year even though I change them every 6 months, because every once in a while you get a bad battery. It opens and closes using a ambient light sensor which I like very much. That way if my flashlight beam comes in contact with the sensor eye it will not open up. You can also program the door to open or close whenever you want, from your phone which is a really nice feature. It also has safety sensor which really works nicely, I tried it on my hand and it never left a mark. The reason for me getting this brand was really simple other’s need to be hardwired into a electrical out let and a lot of them use string to open and close the door, and of course string breaks ever now and then. So order what you like, but be certain it is actually what you want.
Mark

I love having an auto-door. I use the Ador auto door. I have a few petty complaints, but overall I liked it enough to get a second one when I made my second coop. About every 6 months, the door won't open in the morning, and I realize that it needs a new battery. Sometimes it will fail to open if our temps get down into the teens (which doesn't happen all too often here in Tennessee).

I have been using the Run Chicken T-50 and I absolutely love it. It runs off 2 AA batteries and last a year even though I change them every 6 months, because every once in a while you get a bad battery. It opens and closes using a ambient light sensor which I like very much. That way if my flashlight beam comes in contact with the sensor eye it will not open up. You can also program the door to open or close whenever you want, from your phone which is a really nice feature. It also has safety sensor which really works nicely, I tried it on my hand and it never left a mark. The reason for me getting this brand was really simple other’s need to be hardwired into a electrical out let and a lot of them use string to open and close the door, and of course string breaks ever now and then. So order what you like, but be certain it is actually what you want.
Mark
Thank you! I ended up getting the T-50 as well! It’s been in for a few days and seems to be working great so far. I use the timer instead of the sensor since the coop is attached to a covered run and I worry it may be triggered during stormy days.

Ive gone back and forth about getting an automatic door for our coop. I think I may have even made a post about it a while back. We have a coop attached to a run and do not free range. The run is secure but technically something could dig under. We aren't too concerned because we are in a neighborhood, have NEVER seen a raccoon, coyote, fox or possum, never had our trash messed with, and when my husband uses his stinky fish carcass fertilizer for the garden its never tampered with. We also have a 6 foot wooden privacy fence around our entire yard and are enclosed by fences on three sides from other neighbors. we also have a large yard full of dog smells from our 4 hounds. The entire perimeter of our home has cameras and none have EVER caught an animal other than a deer and stray cat. I know there is still a risk, but for now we aren't concerned.

That being said, I have no desire to test our predator theory once the sun goes down. I go out every evening to shut the coop door (which is an extremely secure coop) and open it when the sun comes up. It's not the biggest deal in the world to do it but I wonder if Id be happier with an auto door. I know there are a bunch out there and im mostly looking at the run chicken one, but I guess my question is how many people are thrilled with their auto doors and how many regret it or hate it. I have wifi cameras inside the run so I could check to see the door is shut at night and open in the morning, but has anyone here had an incident where the auto door didn't open or close? Anyone have an incident that had them go back to a manual door?
I think they are a great idea for those working and may not get home early enough to close the coop, or for those mornings you just want to sleep in 😊

Having said that - for me I find it to be a nice chore to have getting up and feeding the horses and letting the chooks out. And in the evening when they have roosted is always a great time to take those cute chick photos when everyone is all sleepy, and if you are able to do these tasks that’s great (as I am able).

But for the security of ensuring your chooks are safe and secure if you’re not home I think they are a great idea!

They need those for the horses too 😁

Mine has not failed yet....for the first few nights I stood out there to make sure it closed, then I would go out before I go to bed to see that it closed....now, I have no reason to go out to check on it. It just works...I have mine on the timed setting so I know what time it is supposed to close and open
Mine has not failed yet....for the first few nights I stood out there to make sure it closed, then I would go out before I go to bed to see that it closed....now, I have no reason to go out to check on it. It just works...I have mine on the timed setting so I know what time it is supposed to close and open

We have a Farmlite auto door and really like it. It has timers, sensor and key fob. And it's "don't shut on me" sensor works. We don't use all it's settings(light sensor) and it does have solar capabilities, we also have power in our coop/pen, with a camera bulb to check on the girls and door. Does have a battery pack for emergencies only, like power outages. Our Brahmas fit through it, so that's nice

We have the Chickcozy door, it’s cheaper, but we haven’t had a problem with it yet. There was one night that it didn’t close because a piece of wood got caught in the track, but other than that, it has worked like a charm. It runs on 2 AA batteries, and you can set it to run manually, by time or light. I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom