How Resilient Are Chickens with Smoke Inhalation?

I too, am worried about my chickens breathing in the smoke. It's been bad here non stop since the fires began. I don't think it is in anyway disrespectful to those who've suffered greater loss, to be worried about the air quality. I have asthma, so we check the air quality every day, it varies between the unhealthy and very unhealthy range every day. I've been virtually housebound since the fires started. Birds are very susceptible to poor air quality, think about the canary in the coal mine. Think about teflon fumes. Short of bringing them into the house (have thought about it, frankly) though, there isn't much I can do about it.
There's no end in sight to this devastation, either. You can expect the same smoke issues, only maybe worse, starting again in the spring. I would hate to love here and have athsma. I am much more worried about my toddler and unborn child than I am about chickens though, honestly.

There's no end in sight to this devastation, either. You can expect the same smoke issues, only maybe worse, starting again in the spring. I would hate to love here and have athsma. I am much more worried about my toddler and unborn child than I am about chickens though, honestly.
Yes, of course. I would be, too. My teenagers are NOT happy that school has not been closed, but they are old enough to make wise decisions to stay indoors.

It's a homemade coop and it has vents, but not a ventilation system. I was thinking about their activity level too, I know I sure feel worse just going out to check them. I'm also in Contra Costa County by the way, and just looking across the street you can see a thick haze

In my area the levels have been hanging around the hazardous zone, sometimes it's off the chart. It looks like a scene from Silent Hill out there.
I've been concerned about my birds as well but I don't have anywhere else to put them.

My husband and I have been hacking for the past week and I've been using an inhaler which I've never used in my life. I coughed so much this morning I barfed. So, yeah, I'm concerned about my little chicken's lungs too.

Edited to add: Sorry. I’d like to delete this thread, but not sure how. Feels inappropriate considering the mass devastation and loss.

Don't be sorry! I was researching the same info earlier today. I am in Sacramento County, and we have been in the highest "hazardous" level the past few days. I have been watching my birds closely, which I was able to do all day because I'm a teacher, and our schools were closed today (I wasn't happy because my juniors had a unit test today; they will forget everything by the time I see them again :hmm). Ironically, I work in Woodland, where the air quality is much better than it is here. I'd have been better off going to work today... :confused:

I looked for signs of respiratory distress in my girls. I didn't see anything concerning. But I did bring them inside for a lil while (don't tell my husband!). So far, so good. :fl

Last edited:
Greetings,
Honestly, with all the devastation due to the Camp Fire in Butte County, I almost feel silly posting, as we’re a couple hundred miles away. However, the fact is that due to drift smoke that is trapped here, the air quality has been in the “Unhealthy” range for two days, and is now in the “Very Unhealthy” range and rising. I’ve been indoors all day and have a raging headache. I can’t imagine how my flock must be feeling, since they’ve been exposed to unhealthy air 24/7 for almost week now (it was in the “unhealthyvfor sensitive groups” tmrange for a couple days before it got “unhealthy”).

Edited to add: Sorry. I’d like to delete this thread, but not sure how. Feels inappropriate considering the mass devastation and loss.

It's Okay! Your concern and empathy for those directly hit by the wildfires are totally understood - by ALL of us - but so are your concerns for your own flock. I'm sure none of the survivors of the fires want to see anyone else suffer.

For your chickens, try hanging some sheets along any openings in your run/coop and keeping them damp. As long as you're not dealing with freezing temps at night (and possibly frostbite from the moisture) the damp cloth should help filter the worst of the dust. While you're at it, a damp bandanna around your own face (cowboy bandit style) will help any time you have to go outside.

Good Luck - and stay safe - and keep the prayers going that this whole mess is over quickly so people can get on with rebuilding their lives.

Back
Top Bottom