how should I attach the 1/2" hardware cloth?

Lisa202

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
Long Island NY
Hi All,

I'm putting the 1/2" hardware cloth on my run this weekend and need to know how to correctly do it. We already attached it on the bottom with a heavy duty staple gun with heavy duty staples, but the staples didn't go all the way into the wood and looked terrible. We had to hammer them down which only made the staples look even worse. I don't really care since it's all under 5" of sand now, but I don't want the same thing to happen on the sides. I was told by the hardware store guy that they don't make a staple gun strong enough to push staples into 2x4 wood enough to sit flush??? I find that hard to believe. He gave me a box of these u shaped nails (called poultry nails), but they look pretty thick and large and look like they wouldn't sit flush on the wood. They actually look like they would be overkill and look worse. They look like a regular nail that's bent in a lazy u shape...not flat on the exposed side like a "cable staple" would be. I'd use those, but they would go into the wood an inch and that's overkill too.

Is there something I should be using that can be applied with a hand held gun that would be better than just a good staple gun using heavy duty staples?

Thanks as always:)

Last edited:
i use the poultry nails. it is a lot of hammering. but comes out looking really good. OR you can use zipper ties. faster and easier but looks not as finished. i always use zipper ties temporarily until i have the time to actually get the job done.

I use screws and large, flat washers. You have to look for the ones that have holes small enough in the center to be held by the screws.

You can kinda see what I'm talking about in this photograph.
41679_millicent.jpg

The harware section (nails, fasteners) at either Home Depot or Lowes has nails which already have a plastic blue washer installed on it. They work great and no need to search for the correct size metal washer. You can get a box of a hundred or so and that should be enough.

My handyman used a staple gun and it looks good. I'm not sure he's right about there not being a staple gun powerful enough. I know his seemed to work fine.

Quote:
I use the same set up. They are 1/4" fender washers, and I believe I used 1-5/8 screws. Buy the washers by the box of 100's (I got mine at HD) to save return trips to the store. I kept running out, and am sure I've used at least 500.

Anything except a normal staplegun is fine. (Normal staplegun, even if you whack the staples the rest of the way in with a hammer, the result is not very dog- or coon-proof)

Poultry staples -- those hammer-in "bent nail" things you're describing -- are very good IF you are attaching into a wide stout piece of wood, but if it is thin or narrow wood (e.g. 2x2) they have a strong tendency to split the wood. Also there is a bit of a knack to getting them in, and you may bruise your thumbs real good while learning. (Holding staple with some sort of tool saves your thumbs but makes the process slower and more cumbersome)

Screws and big fender washers are fine, just a bit pricier.

Personally I like just screwing through a batten of wood. So that the hardwarecloth is sandwiched between the batten and whatever wood's on the other side.

Whatever you do, remember that the security of the fastener is dependant on the strength and thickness of the wood it's driven into. Screwing into plywood is just NEVER going to give you a good strong result... you would need to back it up with some actual lumber. (Or use bolts instead)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom