How should I deal with a chicken at the bottom of the pecking order?

Peach3000

Songster
7 Years
Feb 20, 2017
I have had to separate my 3 hens into 2 coops. There has been intense fighting in the past including a trip to the vet. Two of them always pick on Peepo, a Black Australorp. For some reason they always go for her eyes or her comb and wattle.
The trip to the vet was because her eye was foaming. We have concluded it was an injury from another chicken. The vet told us to separate her and put her in a different coop. But that meant she would be alone in a coop and chickens aren’t supposed to live alone.
Peepo has lived like this for almost 3 years but the three of them still see each other all the time (she has contact and eats with the other hens in the grass outside the coops when I’m watching, just not together in a coop so she doesn’t get hurt).
But I think I should try to change this somehow. I have two options: putting them back together or getting another hen to go with Peepo. Putting them back together is very stressful. The other two are merciless and have taken a chunk out of her comb in a recent attempt to put them back together. At first only one of the chickens was a bully but now they work together so I know Peepo doesn’t stand a chance against them. I have tried creams but they never work and are very messy and smell bad. And I can’t put anything on or near her eye so she is very vulnerable. Another vet trip wouldn’t be very cost friendly either. The last time I went, they charged me $90 to tell me that my treatment of my Buff Orpington hen’s case of bumblefoot was good enough and I should just continue it. Plus, they have been in different coops for a long while now and the other two chickens are practically inseparable.
Getting a new hen is not as hard or stressful but it can go wrong at any time. First, I don’t know what breed to get that would pair well with Peepo. And I wouldn’t know what to do if the chicken I purchase bullied Peepo. Next, I am not sure where I should buy the chicken. If I get it online, I can choose the breed, but the highest the age goes is 16+ weeks (it said 16+ weeks but I am going to inquire on the exact age) and Peepo is 3 1/2 years old. If I bought it in my area (I live in the Bay Area), there is only one seller I can buy from and they sell red sex links. They don’t provide much information on the site the offer is posted and when I emailed, they didn’t answer all my questions. But they are on pellets, so they are older than 18 weeks. That leads into the next problem. There would be a huge age difference and I have read that it isn’t a good idea to put chickens of different ages together. I have three coops right now with one empty. If I had another move in, they would be in a good-sized coop with plenty of things to do to discourage pecking. The last and final problem with getting another chicken is I don’t know what the best way is to move them in. I have heard many but I haven’t seen any particularly popular tried-and-true method.
If anyone has any suggestions on which course to take and any other information, please let me know. Below is a picture of Peepo.

Attachments

• 277C0243-1182-4244-A99B-1DB0050E9662.jpeg
    277C0243-1182-4244-A99B-1DB0050E9662.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 19
I think they sell pullets in Half Moon Bay. I forget the name of the place. Where in the Bay Area are you? A woman named Melody owns a little store in Los Gatos called Chick ‘n Bees. I believe she has a breeder she uses and may be able to connect you.
I live in San Jose. I am on the border and I am right next to Santa Clara.

Poor Peepo. She looks awfully small to be a 3 yo Australorp, so chances are the other two are also keeping her from the food.

Can you tell if one of the meanies is the ringleader? I’m just wondering because if so, you could possibly separate her from Peepo and the other one. However, they may both be bullies, but you may just have a follower hat would stop if separated from the mean girl.

As far as getting a friend for Peepo, age doesn’t really matter as much once they are of the same size and can somewhat defend themselves or at least run to safety. Peepo would be the girl on top if you brought in a new one.

Provided you have space, I would opt to get more than one new bird. I would probably get two or three. Of course quarantine the new ones and then keep the three different groups separated, but together, so they can all become accustomed to each other, then slowly let them mingle in the yard. You might have a few cat fights, but hopefully not too bad. You might end up having to separate the bully for a while and let her watch the others having fun while she’s incarcerated.

This is just a thought and most likely what I would do facing your problem. Why is it always the girls causing all the drama? :rolleyes:

Good luck. It will take patience for sure.

Poor thing. I would recommend getting two more chickens for Peepo. I haven't had much trouble introducing younger chickens to an older flock, as long as the smaller younglings have a place to hide. Polish/silkie/cochin chickens are all known for being sweet.
Yes, if you do get more chickens the breeds listed in this post are good ones. I would have advised them myself if @Rooapalooza hadn't beat me to it:highfive:

Poor Peepo. She looks awfully small to be a 3 yo Australorp, so chances are the other two are also keeping her from the food.

Can you tell if one of the meanies is the ringleader? I’m just wondering because if so, you could possibly separate her from Peepo and the other one. However, they may both be bullies, but you may just have a follower hat would stop if separated from the mean girl.

As far as getting a friend for Peepo, age doesn’t really matter as much once they are of the same size and can somewhat defend themselves or at least run to safety. Peepo would be the girl on top if you brought in a new one.

Provided you have space, I would opt to get more than one new bird. I would probably get two or three. Of course quarantine the new ones and then keep the three different groups separated, but together, so they can all become accustomed to each other, then slowly let them mingle in the yard. You might have a few cat fights, but hopefully not too bad. You might end up having to separate the bully for a while and let her watch the others having fun while she’s incarcerated.

This is just a thought and most likely what I would do facing your problem. Why is it always the girls causing all the drama? :rolleyes:

Good luck. It will take patience for sure.
I also agree with @Mimi13 on the seperate-the-bully plan, I think this is your best option besides getting more chickens.

I'm wishing you the best of luck, @Peach3000!

Peepo has lived like this for almost 3 years but the three of them still see each other all the time (she has contact and eats with the other hens in the grass outside the coops when I’m watching, just not together in a coop so she doesn’t get hurt).

I'm going to chime in with my 2¢ If Peepo is 3 1/2yrs old and has been living by herself all these years, I would leave it just like it is. She does have interaction with the others and gets some "free time" with them.

Integrating newcomers with her would likely be very stressful and if she's bullied by the 2 existing chickens, there's a good chance she will be bullied by new started pullets as well.

Personally, I have found that the strong willed "bullies" remain bullies no matter if they are taken out for a period of time. It seems to cause stress for everyone involved and once placed back into the flock, they quickly pick up where they left off.

Curious what your 2 housing spaces are like? Do you have any photos of that?

If Peepo is 3 1/2yrs old and has been living by herself all these years, I would leave it just like it is.
TBH this scenario did cross my mind. I think some birds, not just breeds, are genetically predisposed to being timid.

Integrating newcomers with her would likely be very stressful
My little Barnevelder was one of a group of 24 chicks that I purchased almost 2 years ago and has always been at the bottom of the PO. Any time I scatter grains for all the birds, she just high-tails it away from the flock. It seems that they are all on their worst behavior at that particular time, probably because the “good food” is sparse. I know it’s nature but I just can’t stand to see it played out.

Back at the beginning of last summer I was checking all the birds over and when I picked her up I noticed how thin she was, compared to some similar breeds. (Even though there are 5 feeders in the big run, there were always 5 “higher” birds that obviously kept her from eating enough.) It was around this time I had finished building my second little coop/run for my 12 younger pullets and I noticed quite a few times her going over there to eat.

So, I just took her on as my little project. Not every evening, but several evenings each week, I would get her and take her inside and scramble an egg for her or give her some leftovers from my supper, and sometimes even give her some fattening goodies. In addition to the extra attention and better food, I let her sleep in a nest box. (I don’t recommend making this a habit though.)

Over there past three or four months I have noticed a huge change in her behavior. She is becoming less timid and even mixes in with the crowd some at scratch time. She now even gets up on the roost in the evenings, although usually on one end of the roost. And, believe it or not, she has even flared her hackles at others on several occasions. Though it isn’t my intention to change her into a meanie, I am glad she is standing up for herself some now.

I’ve said all this to say, maybe do just as @Wyorp Rock has said and keep her as a single, but start giving her extra attention. You never know, it may be all she needs to turn around and become braver.

There is also an excellent article to read from @azygous. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

It is so good it’s worth reading twice. ;)

Whatever you decide to do, whichever route you take, I believe with all the different and wonderful information you have received, you will be able to handle Peepo’s situation. Good luck with all of your girls.

Back
Top Bottom