How should I make the best of my LG bator?

Crest Acres Girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern California
I got an LG and had no success hatching anything
sad.png
Could someone please give me some tips and guidelines or should I just purchase a hova bator ( how much are those anyways)

Go on eBay and buy a small PC fan...Since I've added this to mine, my temps and humidity holds beautifully.
I also have the turner, and I have found with mine, that using it as still air, and keeping temps around 101, like almost everyone on here says to do, would cause early hatches, at least 2 days if not 3.
Make sure you have a good hygrometer/thermometer. The thermometer that came with my LG was about 2 degrees off.
I have had good and bad hatches with mine. My first 2 had 12 of 13, and 5 of 6 hatch. My second 2 had nothing, but there were only 3 eggs total of both hatches. I am on day 16 with my next hatch, and I set 11 eggs, and still have 9 little kickers in there!
Also if it is still air, make sure you don't put different sized eggs in there at the same time. Since there is no air circulation, the bigger ones would be too hot, and the smaller ones too cold. I mean, like no bantam and standard eggs at the same time, or chicken and quail eggs together, you get the idea.
I would definitely add a fan to it, and the eBay one I got was only $4, much cheaper than the one that goes with it. It will help out a great deal.. Good luck!

I have two still air LG's and one still air Hovabator and I've had better luck with the LG. I think it just takes a few hatches to get to know your equipment. The only plus I've found with the Hovabator is it's easier to get the button quail out because the sides are higher.

Also how should i have the eggs? in a carton or on the side?
also what should I do with humidity, I live in south cal...VERY DRY..
sad.png

and thanks for the tips already given
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a matter of preference as to whether or not to use a carton. If you are planning on setting a large number of eggs, the carton method would be quicker and easier. If you are planning on only setting a few, then you can do it whichever way you wish. The cartons are also a good way to keep the bator clean, as a lot of the small egg pieces would be contained in the carton.

Like I said in my earlier post, I would strongly reccomend getting a fan to put in it. You can also put a bowl in the bottom, under the wire, with water and a sponge in it, to up the humidity. I use a small butter bowl, cut down, and it fits right in the corner, underneath the wire.

I think I will, the place I buy might buy it from is...a Lizard shop? They hatch their lizard eggs with it. It cost around like a hundred something. maybe I should start hatching lizard eggs and sell/give to BYC members lol i mean...lizard and birds they used to be related right?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom