How should I make the best of my LG bator?

Carton-method= You put the eggs small end down in an egg carton. You use something, like a block of wood, to tilt the carton from one side to the other, about 45 degrees. Do that 2-3 times a day at least, that's how the carton method works!! Pretty easy!

I have a question with the LG.
Reading shellyd2008 she said something about no small eggs with large. Ok I'm trying for the first time doing anything like this. Just got the bug.!!!!
Anyway all I good get was 6 Duck egg's due to no patience. Now I have about 6 chickens egg's I want to put with the duck egg's.

What do you think?

Hope you don't mind me jummping in here.

Dottie

Dottie,

I was told not to do any waterfowl with other types of birds. The person that told me this said that ducks need higher humidity. Now, the books say that ducks and chickens take the same, as far as humidity and temperature.

Whether you are laying the eggs on their sides, or standing them upright in a carton/turner, they need to be about the same height. If they are different heights, in a still air, the higher eggs would be hotter than needed, and the lower ones would be colder.

If they are about the same size, I would say it's up to you, but like I said, I was told to do ducks by themselves.

If you still use the LG still air put it in a place that changes very little with temps. I keep mine in the basement and if not there I would keep it in a closet on the lowest level of the house away from windows (draft) and sunlight (heat) so there would not be spikes. Of everything keep it away from the bathrooms. Hot showers and baths will screw your humidity and temp big time. Kitchens have devices that heat and cool and will make it spike like crazy.

Get the humidity to stay at 35-50% for the first 17 days then raise to 60% after that. Once you set it don't play around with it a lot and don't open at all after day 17. If it is still air keep it 101...mine stays at 100.9 which is close enough for me. Everyone says to wait till 18 but, I start getting hatches between 19-22 days. I would use a straw to increase the humidity after day 17 by putting water through the top plug and not open. If the channels do not raise the humidity enough put a sponge in there (but do not let the sponge touch the eggs). I would place the sponge in there by barely cracking it open enough just to slip the sponge in. If you open it a lot between 17-22 you will have massive losses.

The only eggs of mine that didn't hatch were infertile. I have done three hatches so far in the LG with excellent results. After the chicks start hatching don't worry about the humidity as mine often went up to 80%. Just let the chicks do their thing.

Last edited:
I just bought a Hovabator from Randall Burkey Company, Inc for $119 plus shipping. Followed a link from BYC homepage. It includes a fan and auto turner. Can't wait to get it. Even with forced air, I'm sure I'll have to set it up in my closet with a blankie to keep temps stable. RVs don't tend to have a lot of insulation.
hmm.png

can i ask one more thing about the cartons? does it matter what kind of carton you use? is paper better? just about to place BR in the bator. i also have the lg still air and just want it to be right. soooo worried.

Quote:
Thank you. You made the point I have tried to get across. Get the temp right, put the eggs in, go on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks, take the turner out, raise the humidity, go away another four days. When you get back, feed and water your chicks.
Put them in your brooder, clean your bator and start over again.

Back
Top Bottom