How soon do chicks crow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CluckyCharms, Oct 13, 2012.

1. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a little 9 day old stinker in the brooder who is 3x louder than the other chicks...always has been. I just figured it was a loud breed or something (Silkie btw). Today it is peeping differently than it normally does. It's the same volume (loud), but it sounds like a pe-peep, pe-peep like it has the hiccups. Nothing is "wrong" with it (no sicknesses that I can tell anyway), no mites, no lice - no crop problems. It's eating, drinking, scratching and playing normally. Everything looks fine...and it's not doing anything 'weird' with its beak - its peep is just sort of "broken record/hiccup" sounding, as it's a half peep followed by a regular peep. Certainly roosters don't crow at 9 days old, do they?? Anything else it could be? (please say there's another reason).

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read of their trying to crow that young before, I'm afraid.

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

oh dear :(

4. bycmanda

bycmanda New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    I'm new to chickens, so I can only tell you what I've learned in the past 3 weeks but my chicks seems to have several different vocalizations. Aside from the quiet peep they make whenever they are awake, I've noticed that they have a certain shrill peep they make when one discovers an interesting wood chip or treat (they chirp like crazy when they get treats!) , a different peep when they are startled or see something unusual(it sounds almost like a warning and everyone reacts) and, a really loud peep when they either don't want to be picked up or are seperated from the others, sort of a "let me down", and a "i'm over here guys." I have noticed the two chicks I think might be cockels are the loudest and also the least shy while the ones I think might be girls are quiet and more nervous about approaching new things. I have read 6 books on chickens and have been reading everything online I can find and everyone seems to say roosters don't crow until about 5 or 6 months so maybe you can observe your chick to see if maybe it is trying to alert the others of something. I hope that helps... Good luck with your chick!

5. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    The youngest cockerel to crow for me was 4 weeks old.

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    About 4 weeks, although my silkies usually keep quiet for a few months! Good luck!

7. My baby's 11 days old and it's sssooo loud! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Fur & Feathers

Fur & Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire
    My Coop
    doesnt matter if his cheaping causes a sonic boom; his cuteness factor overrides any traits negative to humans.:D

mine are all good lads,must have been near the half a year old mark before they started,am not bothered in the slightest though as we have a neighbour with a yappy little ankle biter dog and he barks all day as the owner leaves him out a lot,dont think he has ever heard of a concept known as taking the dog for a walk.:p

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by