How soon to switch to layer feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by phoenix_rising, Jun 16, 2009.

1. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    NE Washington
    My pullets are fully feathered out now and look like miniture adult birds. I have five adult laying hens that I'd like to move my cockrols and pullets in with but I know that there would be no keeping them from eachother's feed. So how soon is soon enough to move them down with the adults?

2. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    layer is for when they start laying... how close are they to laying age?? If it's soon they'll be ok.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Its best to wait till they are about 17 to 20 weeks old,,,anywhere in that area is ok. Some people dont switch them to layer pellets till they start laying eggs. So you will probly get different opinions on this.

4. phoenix_rising

phoenix_rising In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    NE Washington
    Hmmm. They're only 6 weeks old so...probably got a while then! It was my understanding that the only difference between layer feed and baby mash was more protien and/or more calcium?

5. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Songster

Around 6 weeks you can switch them to grower feed and when they start laying, switch to layer feed.

6. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:so, if you have the young chickens (my pullets range from 6 weeks old to 12 weeks old) in with laying chickens ( i have two laying hens), how do you keep them from eating each other's food? If you had to pick one food to feed all of them what's the best bet?

Does it make any difference if the chickens are free ranging every day?

Is there any problem with a rooster eating laying feed?

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Once you notice your first egg switch feed, that formula has allways worked for me.

AL

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I gradually switch mine over at 5 months old. Just like you would do a dog or cat from puppy food/kitten food to adult cat/dog food.

9. Labeedoor

Labeedoor In the Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Knox county, IL
    The younger birds aren't ready for the calcium in the layer feed. My bet would be on everyone eating the grower and trying to supplement your layer with anothe source of calcium just for them.

10. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I believe that you can feed them all flock raiser, and supplement with oyster shell and that only the layers that need the extra calcium will eat the shell.

If I am mistaken, someone please correct me!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: