How Tall Should Coop Be...

High Mountain Chic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Leadville Colorado
My brother-in-law and I are building my chicken coop and I have seen lots of great ideas on this site. My question is how tall should I make the coop? It should be noted that I live in Leadville CO at 10,000 ft... it is winter from Nov-May up here and the temps can get pretty low. So I know that keeping the coop warm is a must! I figured that the coop should probably not be as tall in order to keep the inside nice and toasty. Does anyone have any suggestions for a cold winter coop? THanks for your help!

I'm no pro, but I'd make it tall enough to easily walk into without bending over. Imagine shovelling it out, you don't want to make maintenance any harder than it has to be!

I insulated my coop, with vapour barrier and while it stays nice and warm in there I've had some humidity problems, with mold. If you insulate, make sure you have more ventilation than you think you need.

If your winters are long and unpleasant, I'd make sure the coop is tall enough for you to stand and walk in easily, cuz it's going to be a lot more pleasant for you to be in *there* than outside
wink.png
(I.e. don't build just a reach-in coop)

It is actually easier to regulate temperature and ventilation (air quality) with a normal-height rather than short coop.

There are a number of things you can do to improve the wintertime temperature. Insulate (even to the point 2x6 rather than 2x4 walls, fully filled with insulation, if you want to go 'whole hog' with it, although that is not *necessary* as such), well-designed ventilation, big south-facing sunny windows (can bubblewrap or have shutters if nighttime heat loss is a big concern), popcan-type solar heater if desired, etc etc. And if you decide the birds are too cold at night you can construct a hover or drop-ceiling over/around the roost, or partition off a 'coop within the coop' including the roost, so that their body heat is concentrated into a smaller area at night and you can still have all the benefits of an otherwise-large coop.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I am in the Springs, mine is a reach in. If I could do it over, I'd make it big enough to walk in and close the door ehind me. MEasure your height, add at least a foot for comfort. add ventilation to keep the humidity low in the coops too.

lets see im 6' 3'" built first couple of coops 6' wont do that again im getting a soft spot on my head keep hitting same spot all coops are 6' 5" now. i wear a hard hat when i go in the old ones lol.

Back
Top Bottom