How thick should the roosting bar be? Conflicting info online (Silkies)

Spetznaaz

Chirping
So the consensus on here seems to be using a 2 x 4 with the wide side up. I read elsewhere that the chickens need to be able to wrap their feet around the bar else they can develop bumble foot and 4" would not allow them to do this.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this statement?

Cheers

I have never heard of them being able to develop bumblefoot when they cannot wrap their feet around. It does not sound right to me bacause to my understanding bumblefoot is an infected cut in the pad of a birds foot, so I am not sure how the size of the perch would affect that. Do you have a link to the source? That may be helpful.

I provide different sized roosts. The 2 x4 flat sized up and smaller size up. For old chickens I may provide a wider perch, though you have to be careful of poop building up on the perch and the chicken's bottom.

Some people will insist that they need to be 4" and others will insist that they need to be on the 2" side. The quote I've seen most often here is something like, "The Chicken keepers care more about it than the chickens do." 😉

If you're using a 2x4, the chickens will likely be fine either way you position it. (I would make sure to sand down any splinters or sharp edges)

And like Crspy mentioned, bumblefoot isn't caused by the width of the roost, it's caused by a staph infection that gets into a cut or scrape of the bottom of the foot.

So the consensus on here seems to be using a 2 x 4 with the wide side up. I read elsewhere that the chickens need to be able to wrap their feet around the bar else they can develop bumble foot and 4" would not allow them to do this.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this statement?

Cheers
My roost bars that I made are out of 2x3’s with the corners chamfered on the table saw. Then I wrapped 1/4 inch jute rope around the 2x3.
Mark

Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile people will be able to give better-targeted answers to your questions when climate matters. :)

I use natural perches -- branches or trunks of saplings -- that vary in size from about like my wrist to a bit larger than my DH's wrist -- 3-5 inches in diameter? -- and the chickens seem to care more about where the roost is than how thick it is.

Since you have Silkies and they can't fly you will want to keep your perches very low.

Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile people will be able to give better-targeted answers to your questions when climate matters. :)

I use natural perches -- branches or trunks of saplings -- that vary in size from about like my wrist to a bit larger than my DH's wrist -- 3-5 inches in diameter? -- and the chickens seem to care more about where the roost is than how thick it is.

Since you have Silkies and they can't fly you will want to keep your perches very low.

Good idea, i'll add my location info now. I'm from the U.K but i always find the U.S forums have much more useful info and helpful users lol

I was actually thinking about trying a perch made from a branch. Might give that a go as well.

Back
Top Bottom