How to attract crows to stay?

I have thought crows and ravens are basicly the same and crow are bad for chickens if they eat eggs. I don't think golf balls will work with crows.

The clan of crows hanging around my place have been around for years.I consider them good allies as well as blue jays..My hens pay attention the the cries of crows and blue jays, and no when danger is around..
I've been feeding crows scraps way before i even got chickens.I've never had any issues with crows stealing eggs through the pop up door.They never harass my hens. I would never let baby chicks out in the open, so they have never had that chance here.
They are around here often, and hawks don't stay around long.I know some folks here have had bad experiences with crows.I like them and thier welcome here. Bluejays signal when cats are around and the hens listen to the advice, and keep a watchful eye....

Well you could use any of the predators that you dispatch to attract crows, only problem is that can also attract as well as feed a lot of other predators.

If you decide on doing so keep your "crow attractant" pile well away from your birds and house.

I have the dilemma of if crows do more harm than good... we have several red tail hawks that spend summers with us, and the crows are great to chase them away from near my chickens. However, the crows also steal baby birds from our birdhouses, including purple martins.
sad.png

Quote:
A groop of crows attacking a preditor is called a murder of crows. If they want baby rabbit and have to go threw the female to do it, its called a murder. Crows will do this to anything they want to eat or keep away from their nests. Kind of horrid really. but they will keep away hawks, fox or anything they think will eat their young. If they want chicks I could see them doing that also. Need to be on top of this one. I have almsot named my crows.....can't tell them apart so I gave up:lol:

FIY Crows are a federaly protected bird!!!! Did not know this. You CAN NOT dispatch this bird without animal control telling you that it is ok because they are stealing your chick and or eggs. HUH;)

This time of year crows start to flock together in huge groups so you may lose your local group during the night. On the balance they probably do more good than harm. I had them mob off a redtail a week or so ago. There used to be a belief that they got planted corn but it has been shown they actually were eating the cut worms rather than the corn. The can be bold and if they find they can get to your chicken eggs will help themselves. Same with chicks, but it is easier to protect both from crows than your chickens from hawks. BTW, there is an excellent book about crows: Crow Planet:Essential Wisdom from the Urban Wilderness by Lyanda Lynn Haupt.

Back
Top Bottom