How to avoid turning in the middle of the night?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mychookschick, May 18, 2011.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Hello!

I just bought my incubator about 2 weeks ago, and I don't have a turner. I don't want to put the money into the turner just yet, as I have other chicken related things that need to be payed for (new grain barrel, thanks to the squirrels, run, window, pop door, etc.)... So, when I figured it out, I would have to turn at 1:30 AM! Ugh! I can't get up at that time! I would be brain dead the next day! Much less for 18 days! How do you people (those without egg turners) avoid getting up in the middle of the night?

Thank you!

My Chooks Chick

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I turn mine at about 9 am & about 2 pm & again at about 12 am, I work 2nd shift so I am up at this time, just modify it you should be fine.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I turn mine at about 7:30 am before school, 4:30 pm when I get home and then again about 10:00 pm when I put the birds away for the night. As long as you turn them on odd number of thems each day so they sit on different sides each night they won't need to be turned at night.

4. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Ok, so I should still get a pretty good hatch rate if I don't turn it at night?

Thanks!

5. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i just turn mine 3 times per day. i think the odd number is the key so they are never on one side much longer than another

6. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    i turn mine every 3 hours starting at 8am, 12pm ,3pm,6pm,9pm when i candle then thats it for the night

7. MarkMatt

MarkMatt Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    I have hatched hundreds of eggs by only turning them twice a day. Never had an issue and always had good hatch rates.

8. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG] You do not have to get up during the middle of the night.

If you turn them an odd number of times daily, (I turn mine 3x) The side

that the egg lays on the longest (night-time) Changes daily. I've actually

had very good hatch rates only turning twice daily, so don't bother getting

up at 1:30 AM.

9. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    i have always turned my eggs:
    1st at around 7:00 am,
    2nd at around 3:00 pm,
    and
    last at around 10:00 pm.

great hatches with that!!![​IMG]

10. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    I'm home all day and my helper is 5, so mine get turned as soon as we get up in the morning (around 8), before lunch (around noon), after we play outside (around 4), before DS goes to bed (around 8) and then again before I go to bed at 11-ish.

I've read that the really important thing is to make sure they're turned an odd number of times so their "long" time period is on a different side every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by